A Question for MrMike

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• A Question for MrMike

Can you tell us a little about your background before getting into game programming? I guess the reason that I ask is because I have been a programmer/analyst for the last 20 years. I am now 50 and would like to do more than just business programming. I work out of my home. I don't want to work for a gaming company. I would just like to write RTS history games especially about the Civil War because that is my interest. I am proficient in C++ and I consider myself very knowledgable about program architecture, AI, coding, debugging etc. My weakness is graphics and art. Of course, my wife makes up in this point as she is a web designer and knows Photoshop, Illustrator and Maya.

The post was edited 1 time, last by wgower ().

• RE: A Question for MrMike

Before getting my job at Origin in 1990, I worked in Houston at Allright Parking - programming the computer systems that managed their parking lots - everything from a little handheld unit for unmanned lots to a multi-user system written in FORTH.

Before that, I was in college getting my B.S. in Computer Science from the University of Houston.

I got my job at Origin Systems by being in the right place at the right time with skills Origin was looking for. I was very lucky - I wouldn't have been given a second look if I tried the same thing today.

Something I tell everyone wanting to make a 2nd carreer in computer games is be prepared for salary shock - if you are weak in graphics and other game technologies you may find it difficult to find a job at all in games, and even if you do you may have to work at a mid-level position until you've got some experience.

That may not be a wise move, financially - since a 20-year veteran like yourself can command quite a chunk of change in the business side of things. I don't know about you, but I'm ten years your junior and have begun to get ultra-serious about my retirement.

The best salaries in the games industry for the most senior programmers are north of 100k, topping out at maybe $180k for a very senior person working in the Bay area.

But - I sense that maybe money isn't as important to you as doing what you want to do - which can in many cases simply give you a happier and more rewarding job - believe me if I only cared about money I wouldn't be in the games industry!!!
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • RE: A Question for MrMike

I do not plan to give up my programming for businesses which I do out of my home, but in addition I would like to design and create historial rts games especially about the Civil War. I am looking at it not for the income because I do have that from the business progamming but to satisfy an inner desire for a challenge and to do something that I have always dreamed about. My biggest concern is my weakest in graphics and artistic ability.