possible Rotation Matrix typo

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• possible Rotation Matrix typo

Unless it was written this way for some specific reason I missed, I believe the Rotation Matrix about the X-Axis on page 449 is wrong.

It should be:
      1 0 0 0
      0 cos sin 0
      0 -sin cos 0
      0 0 0 1

The book says:

It should be:
      1 0 0 0
      0 cos sin 0
      0 sin cos 0
      0 0 0 1
    • Good catch. I believe your version of the rotation matrix is using the left handed coordinate system, and the version in the book is using the right handed coordinate system.

So in your version, the Z axis is pointing away from you (X is right, Y is up), but the book is assuming that Z is coming towards you.

Looking through that section in the book, there is no indication of which handed coordinate system is being used. Always a pain in our sides, this left/right handed business. Direct3D uses the left handed system, but 3D Studio Max defaults to the right handed system. And some middleware 3D engines like Gamebryo use the right handed system. We need some totalitarian overlord to come by and standardize which system gets used in all 3D packages.
    • Dang it. I'm glad I already spent my advance!!!

Thanks for the correction - I'll make sure it gets in the reprint.
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • This will be fixed in the 3rd edition text.
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot