2-d side scroller

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• 2-d side scroller

Hello there, sorry if this is in the wrong section. I looked and couldn't find a section that would fit this.

I was wondering if it was possible to do a 2-d side scroller similar to Contra in c++.
      What would I need to do this? I am fairly new to c++ and was hoping I could learn along the way.

Any suggestions or advice would be awesome.
      Thanks
    • It's absolutely possible. You'll need a library that handles graphics, input, sound, and timing. You have two options for that.

SDL
      or
      Allegro

Either one will work equally well. There aren't numbers on it, but I get the impression more people use SDL. However, my personal recommendation is Allegro, if only because the community at allegro.cc is second to none.

Welcome to the forums. :))
    • Just to throw it out there -

XNA Studio is available, too. And it has a Platformer starter kit with tutorials that walk you through turning it into a scroller (as well as a few other modifications). It's not C++, it's C# - but all in all it's pretty cool.

If you're dead set on C++ you can also try to build it with the DirectX SDK Framework.

An older book by Andre LaMothe entitled Tricks of the Windows Programming Gurus has some good stuff on 2D game programming, too.

And finally - to cap it off with a bang - there's no reason on Earth that the GCC2 code can't be used to make a side-scroller....

Rich

PS - it occured to me that since the XNA Assemblies are all CRL code you could probably just reference them in your C++ program and call them just fine. I haven't tried it though.....
      "Your job is not to die for your country. Your job is to make some other poor sod die for his."

The post was edited 1 time, last by Nebuchadnezzar ().