myGDC?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Is anyone using the new myGDC thing? It looks like a repurposed MySpace. I created a simple page (search for Rez; I'm sure there aren't many) just for the hell of it. I'm curious to know if anyone's found it useful. It doesn't look like there are a lot of people registered right now though.

-Rez
    • Here's the direct link:
      mygdc.gdconf.com/

Looks like you have to be registered. From their site:
      "myGDC is only available to paid expo and conference attendees, confirmed speakers, exhibitors and GDC staff. If you have not registered for GDC08 yet, please click here."

-Rez
    • Their site was especially bad last year so I avoided it for the most part. I remember the scheduler being particularly horrible. This year it actually seems decent, although there is an interesting raver hot pink & black theme going. I'm guessing the conference helpers will be forced to wear super-bright pink. It'll be a flashback to all those Barbie days!

"Let's spell Courtney's name! Find the 'C'!"

-Rez
    • I regretfully inform you all that I will not be attending GDC this year. ;(

I just can't afford it. My old car died, so I just started payments on my next victim, plus I've got summer classes coming up but no financial aid for summer semester, and my car payments alone ought to finish off my refund for this semester anyways. On top of which, I still have no real job. Welcome to Michigan.

On the bright side, if I can manage to take a full load every semester, I can be out in 2 years, with 2 degrees. (Software Engineering + "Digital Animation and Game Design")

So, uh, if any of you guys see a flier that says "Seeking young, talented programmer/animator/designer -in-training for remote work", let me know so I can make it to GDC '09.
    • That's unfortunate, but we've all been there. Hopefully we'll see you for GDC 2009!

-Rez
    • I bought my GDC ticket yesterday, actually. I'm really stoked, I haven't gone before. Are we having a Mr. Mike is Awesome gathering or something where we might be able to enjoy sipping communal alcoholic beverages?
      Feel you safe and secure in the protection of your pants . . . but one day, one day there shall be a No Pants Day and that shall be the harbinger of your undoing . . .
    • That's awesome! I'm glad you're making it out to GDC and look forward to meeting you in person. Who else is going? I know Mike is (he'd better; he's speaking) and I assume Kain is as well.

We can plan to meet after an event or something. That's what we've done in the past. Maybe suite night?

It's only a month away. This last year flew by...

-Rez
    • I am going to GDC, it will be my first! I actually got one of the IGDA scholarships, I'm so happy! :D

Maybe I can afford attending GDC -09 too, since I had saved up money to pay for the main conference pass if I didn't get the scholarship! It has been a dream to attend GDC so I'm really looking forward to it.

But I have to practice speaking english before my trip! 8o ;)

Would be really nice to meet up with you guys, although I haven't exactly been the most active member on this website, hehe.

Anyway, my myGDC name is "David Larsson", feel free to add me to your friends list if you wish.

See you at GDC!
      "There are of course many problems connected with life, of which some of the most popular are: Why are people born? Why do they die? Why do they want to spend so much of the intervening time wearing digital watches?"
      -Douglas Adams
    • That's great! Coming all the way from Sweden I see. Will this be your first trip to the US?

I friended you on myGDC (my name is Rez). Feel free to come up to me and poke me if you see me around. I'll probably be one of the only people with blue hair.

-Rez
    • This will be my first trip outside Europe, so I'm very excited about it. I'm actually going to stay in San Francisco the week before GDC too, I have relatives right outside SF that I'm going to stay with during my visit, so no hotel costs. ;)

I mean, I just can't go to SF without have a look at Golden Gate Bridge etc so I'm going to have some vacation before GDC. I see that you live there Rez, it seems like a great city.

Hehe, with blue hair i'll probably recognize you if I see you.
      "There are of course many problems connected with life, of which some of the most popular are: Why are people born? Why do they die? Why do they want to spend so much of the intervening time wearing digital watches?"
      -Douglas Adams
    • Yep, I live out here, although technically I live in Berkeley, which is across the bay. Our office is about 4 blocks from where the Game Developer's Conference is held. I pass it everyday. San Francisco is great city to explore. I'm not sure what you're into, but I might be able to point out some crazy shows or clubs you won't see in any tourist guide.

Oh, and if you want to come by and see our game, let me know. I'm sure I can arrange something.

-Rez
    • I see. It would be great if you could point me to some shows or clubs, so I can check them out.

I'd love to see your game also, that would be great. If it's okey for me to come by sometime, you can write to me at myGDC to decide when.
      -Douglas Adams
    • Unfortunately I don't have the spare time to go to GDC this year but I WILL be going to GDC '09. I have just started going to school at FullSail a few months ago for Game Development and they highly recommend you to attend GDC (they may as well make it a requirement :p)
    • What kind of clubs? Death Guild is every monday night and it's the longest running goth club in the US (possibly the world). I'm there every week. I'll see if I can look up some shows. What dates will you be here?

AridTag: GDC is one of the best places to go to experience the wonder of the game industry. You're surrounded by brilliant people who have a passion for making games, which means most of them are a little nuts. You also get to see some of the latest tech and hear talks from giants in the industry.

-Rez
    • I'm really pumped to go to GDC, there're very few places that I've found where I can meet people who are really passionate about coding games, and I've yet to attend GDC.

Dammit, Rez, lol, I wish that your studio were open for visit, I have yet to actually be inside a game studio where people are working, and I'd love to see it.

And god dammit, a goth bar sounds like a lot of fun.
      Feel you safe and secure in the protection of your pants . . . but one day, one day there shall be a No Pants Day and that shall be the harbinger of your undoing . . .
    • Are you going to be here Monday night? If so, let me know and we can meet up to hit the goth club.

We're not exactly open to the public, but if you want to come check out the game and the studio, that would be fine. Mike did last year, which was especially interesting because we have the first edition of his book on our shelf. The studio is split, so you'll only see the designers and programmers. All the artists and audio guys are in the other office.

-Rez
    • I'm in SF from tuesday feb 12th, and monday at GDC week I have other stuff planned unfortunately. But i'm not really into goth anyways, do you know of any cool rock/hard rock clubs or anything like that?

It would be cool to see your studio/game, I don't have anything specificly planned tuesday to friday the week before GDC (12th-15th). So if it's ok for me to come by, you can choose any of those days. Just say when and where we should meet up.
      -Douglas Adams
    • Originally posted by AridTag
      Unfortunately I don't have the spare time to go to GDC this year but I WILL be going to GDC '09. I have just started going to school at FullSail a few months ago for Game Development and they highly recommend you to attend GDC (they may as well make it a requirement :p)

I know how you feel, I have really wanted to go to GDC for two years now. But I'm sure you will manage to get there next year, I really think/hope that it's worth the long wait. It seems like that anyways. :D

And a tip for your education, study really hard the first year, the rest goes much more smooth then. That was my "tactic" anyway. ;) :P
      -Douglas Adams