DirectX ?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Hi all,
      I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this or not, but here goes. Can anyone tell me what the process is for using DirectX in a game that you intend to sell, either on cd or by download over the internet ?? How does it work, payment i mean, as I'm assuming that Microsoft don't let you use it for free, is it a percentage of each sale/download, or what ??
      Any help would be much appreciated.
    • RE: DirectX ?

Actually, Microsoft does let you use it for free. DirectX is just an API for device-independent access to the hardware and it's in their best interest to make it as easy as possible for developers to use it. It means more people buy Windows.

If you're using some other form of Middleware (like Ogre 3D or Torque), you'll need to check with their license. If your just using DirectX, you're fine.

-Rez
    • To my knowledge, Microsoft has never charged for the usage of DirectX. There are many commercial game engines out there (like Unreal and Gamebryo) that do charge, but you also get a lot more.

You can download the SDK here:
      microsoft.com/downloads/detail…16e4f7b61a&displaylang=en

-Rez

Originally posted by rezination
      Actually, Microsoft does let you use it for free. DirectX is just an API for device-independent access to the hardware and it's in their best interest to make it as easy as possible for developers to use it. It means more people buy Windows.
      -Rez

I realise this is late in this thread but I felt the need to share an insight into Microsoft's attitude to this kind of thing from back in the VB days.

A Microsoft Engineer was asked about the old VB runtime (needed to run a compiled VB program) and what the licence was for it. His reply was that the licence for it was Windows. If you have Windows you can use these technologies as Microsoft sees them as encouraging uptake of Windows (which they charge for).

DirectX is considered the same - and they don't charge for the SDK either (not sure if they used to as have always had an MSDN Universal subscription).

Of particular interest is the issue of Service vs. Server. If the technology is named Service (e.g. SharePoint Services) then it either comes as part of the OS or as a free download. If it is named Server (e.g. Office SharePoint Server) then it is additional product for which you will be charged extra. As you can see from the example they often make the basic functionality available for free but charge for a value added product that provides additional features.
      Gamma Testing - Where testing is extended to the full user community (AKA Shipping the Program)

Originally posted by draco
      Can anyone tell me what the process is for using DirectX in a game that you intend to sell, either on cd or by download over the internet ??

Old thread, but still...if you're going to have it on CD, it's also worth to mention that you should add a DirectX Redistributable with your game, for people that hasn't got DirectX SDK installed or no internet connection and so on.

I don't know if this still applies to DX10 too though...
      "There are of course many problems connected with life, of which some of the most popular are: Why are people born? Why do they die? Why do they want to spend so much of the intervening time wearing digital watches?"
      -Douglas Adams

Yep, including the DirectX runtime is pretty standard for boxed products. The installer is usually baked into your game's installer.

-Rez