Mr.Mike will speak at GDC 2008!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Mr.Mike will speak at GDC 2008!

Hey there!

I just found out that my lecture, Bend Microsoft Project To Your Will, Again! has been accepted for GDC 2008 in San Francisco!

Whoop!
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • Sweet! Is this going to be pretty much the same talk you gave last March, or will it be something different? I'll recommend it to our Producer, who is a huge fan of Project.

Speaking of which, who's planning on attending GDC? If there are enough people, maybe we could have a little Game Code Complete meetup.

-Rez
    • There will probably be at least 30% new material - so I'll have to ditch some of the beginning of the talk to work it all in.
      Mr.Mike
    • Originally posted by rezination
      Speaking of which, who's planning on attending GDC? If there are enough people, maybe we could have a little Game Code Complete meetup.

I am probably going to GDC, not sure yet. But I sure hope I manage to get there, it has been a dream for a couple of years. It do cost a lot of money (especially since I am a student)...it's pretty interesting that the Main Pass costs much more than my travel costs, and I'm going to travel to the other side of the globe to get there... 8o

Anyways, if I do get there, I would be really glad to meet you guys. :rolleyes:
      "There are of course many problems connected with life, of which some of the most popular are: Why are people born? Why do they die? Why do they want to spend so much of the intervening time wearing digital watches?"
      -Douglas Adams
    • Speaking of which, who's planning on attending GDC? If there are enough people, maybe we could have a little Game Code Complete meetup.

I'm planning on it (again!), finances permitting.

relic: The IGDA is giving 25 students free passes to GDC + pairing them up with mentors for the trip, etc. It's only 30 USD for a student membership, so it's worth checking out.
    • You can also volunteer, and get free admittance to everything when you aren't working....
      Mr.Mike
    • One of my friends did that for the last couple years and she says it's a pretty mixed blessing. For me, I'd rather pay the $800 and treat it like a vacation. Then again, I don't have travel expenses. If I did, I'm sure it would be much more worth it.

Any of you who have never been to GDC and are looking for a taste of the industry should seriously consider going. This will be my third year and I can tell you that it's much more amazing and magical than you can imagine. Plus you can watch Mike and I do battle with little foam attack balls (we're still on for that, right?)

-Rez
    • Originally posted by kibiz0r
      relic: The IGDA is giving 25 students free passes to GDC + pairing them up with mentors for the trip, etc. It's only 30 USD for a student membership, so it's worth checking out.

I aqually have checked that out, and I am a member of IGDA already, the problem is that they decides which 25 students they are going to give the passes very late. At the final day of registration for the passes to be precise. I am just worried that they present who they give the passes to when registration is closed, so I don't have time to register if I'm not one of those 25...and by the time the registration closes, I have to know if I'm going to attend the GDC or not, since I have to fix planetickets and get a place to sleep and stuff WAY before then so I don't end up with full booked hostels and so on.

It would be really nice if I didn't have to pay for the pass and get my own mentor though, especially since I travel alone probably.

Originally posted by rezination
      One of my friends did that for the last couple years and she says it's a pretty mixed blessing. For me, I'd rather pay the $800 and treat it like a vacation. Then again, I don't have travel expenses. If I did, I'm sure it would be much more worth it.

It's going to cost a LOT of money, and because of that, I want to make sure I get as much as possible out of it. Therefore, I think I'm going to regret working parts of the time there, since I risk missing some of the most interesting stuff there. It is also going to be a vacation, since it's the first time ever i am in USA, and also the first time I travel outside Europe, it's going to be very exciting. 8o :D

Hehe, I am however taking advantage of the fact that the US dollar is weak against the SEK(swedish krona) now, so it's "cheaper" (but still very expensive) to go to GDC now than it has been before. ;)

Originally posted by fhein
      Any chance that this lecture will find it's way on to the internet for us poor bastards who live on the wrong side of the Atlantic? :)

Well, so I'm not the only swedish person in this forum... ;) Saay, You don't happen to have any plans of going to the other side of the atlantic to attend GDC, do you? :rolleyes:
      "There are of course many problems connected with life, of which some of the most popular are: Why are people born? Why do they die? Why do they want to spend so much of the intervening time wearing digital watches?"
      -Douglas Adams
    • The slide deck is already up on my "other" website - but since there's no audio attached it won't make a lot of sense.

Supposedly the audio for this lecture was recorded at Gamefest 2007, and I'm trying to grab it so I can put up a completely stand-alone lecture.

Stay tuned...
      Mr.Mike
    • Originally posted by Kain
      I'll be at GDC. Shall we do the usual?

Definitely! I've been looking at some of the sessions on the programming track some of them look really cool. I'm very excited for this year! GDC is like Disneyland, except that the rides are better at GDC.

-Rez
    • Originally posted by Kain
      I'll be at GDC. Shall we do the usual?

What is "the usual"?
      -Douglas Adams
    • Originally posted by steelblood_relic
      What is "the usual"?

Meeting up for dinner on suite night.

-Rez