need help opengl

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Oh
      What I am going for is a gui without using windows if that is possible. Right now I just want to know how to get it to draw to the screen.
      If you fail do not fret... Just destroy the evidence and imprison the witnesses.

I used to hate cellphones but now I hate car accidents -Norma Jean
    • I think i may have misstated my problem, how would i go about building my own gui library? Instead of using someone elses. I'm kind of a "make everything from scratch" person.
      Impractical? Yes.
      But it's fun!!!
      If you fail do not fret... Just destroy the evidence and imprison the witnesses.

• The first thing you should do is learn how to draw to the screen, in either DX or OGL, as you've already asked help with. Then, once you can do that, try implementing it using someone else's method. That'll help you understand their solution to the problem and even help you form your own. Once that's done, try writing your own custom gui system.
      Feel you safe and secure in the protection of your pants . . . but one day, one day there shall be a No Pants Day and that shall be the harbinger of your undoing . . .
    • We've already given you the NeHe link twice, my friend. Follow that and go through all the tutorials.
      Feel you safe and secure in the protection of your pants . . . but one day, one day there shall be a No Pants Day and that shall be the harbinger of your undoing . . .
    • 8) :rolleyes: Just to give you some knowledge of what I know about in opengl...

• glVertex
      • glColor
      • not much else...
      • I have little understanding of the other functions just basically what they do
      :P 8o ?( :D

• So then learn it and know how to write an OGL app. Once you know that, then learn how to do the windowing and what not.
    • Hey there tacohead -

I think you've broken the record on the number of posts per minute....

Don't get ahead of yourself - before you can make an entire GUI on your own you need to understand more of the basics. Start with a good OpenGL tutorial that draws a single, flat color, unlit, triangle. There's a HUGE amount to learn before you can even do that. Once you feel confident, move on to putting a light on that triangle - then maybe getting it to move around. Once you've mastered all that - then go grab a texture and see about appliying it to that one triangle. Again, tutorials are really important, and you've got some great links already to get started.

This will take a lot of time - perhaps months - maybe more. So be patient, and work hard, and you'll get it.
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • Oh, its just that I have a lot of questions. I have ADD so I don't realize when my mind just goes from one thing to the next in a kind of random order.