bitwise operations in HLSL/dx10

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• bitwise operations in HLSL/dx10

Hi all!

Does anybody know if/how well dx10 supports logical bitwise operations? Because I have heard that dx10 supports integers. And is it potentially slow so that you normally should stay away from it? I was thinking about sending some values from the application to the GPU to do some "hacks" with :)

take care!
      "There are of course many problems connected with life, of which some of the most popular are: Why are people born? Why do they die? Why do they want to spend so much of the intervening time wearing digital watches?"
      -Douglas Adams
    • I don't know specifically about logical bitwise stuff, but I know that shaders and the GPU are really good at some interesting calculations - I saw a fluid dynamics sim that was calculated entirely on the GPU once...
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • Okey, I have seen some of NVidias demos with fluid dynamics and stuff. It's truly amazing that you can do volumetric effects on the GPU in real-time now.

However, I was mostly thinking of doing some hacks to get multiple effects in a single VS, GS and PS, and still be able to control which effects the different meshes willl be using.

In a previous project I did, I had support for multiple shaders, but I felt that wasn't a good solution. So now I want to try this out if it is possible and not too slow. But I have some work left to do before my DX10 framework is complete.
      "There are of course many problems connected with life, of which some of the most popular are: Why are people born? Why do they die? Why do they want to spend so much of the intervening time wearing digital watches?"
      -Douglas Adams
    • Sorry for the double-post, but I found the answer to my own question! :D I finally found this in the DX10 documentation at MSDN:

"Integer and Bitwise Support

The common shader core provides a full set of IEEE-compliant 32-bit integer and bitwise operations. These operations enable a new class of algorithms in graphics hardware - examples include compression and packing techniques, FFT's, and bitfield program-flow control.

The int and uint data types in Direct3D 10 HLSL map to 32 bit integers in hardware."

the text is from msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb509580.aspx

Since it does not say anything about performance, I take that as a sign that it's not that slow as I thought it would be.
      -Douglas Adams
    • Sadly, I've only been able to observe videos of DX10 demos. I don't yet have enough money to spring for an 8 series or a 2900. What're you working, Relic?
      Feel you safe and secure in the protection of your pants . . . but one day, one day there shall be a No Pants Day and that shall be the harbinger of your undoing . . .
    • I am doing a little preparation for a pretty large-scale school project that I and a couple of class mates is going to work on for about 8-9 month. 8)

We are at the moment seven programmers that all have 3D programming experience, and I hope that we will find some artists too when we have a decent game engine. It will be very fun to work on I think. :)

EDIT: By the way, (pretty much) everybody in the group has DX10-cards :D
      -Douglas Adams

The post was edited 1 time, last by steelblood_relic ().

• Damn, that sounds like a lot of fun, actually. Are you working full-time on the game for 8-9 months or do you have other classes?
      Feel you safe and secure in the protection of your pants . . . but one day, one day there shall be a No Pants Day and that shall be the harbinger of your undoing . . .
    • In this semester we have a couple of courses in addition to the project, but we can choose to do the exam work in the project, and then we have the entire spring semester to work full time on the game :)

Actually, I work some at the school, so I can't work full time on it, but almost...
      -Douglas Adams