3D Game Engine Design

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• 3D Game Engine Design

I'm really liking the books published by Morgan Kaufmann.

books.elsevier.com/us//compute…community=computerscience

The cover of this book is beautiful! I love how it makes tasteful use of negative space. You can just feel the artist's nod to minimalism as the rectangular orange shouts a stark contrast to the dominating grey hues.

Anyway, I highly recommend this book due to its magnificent cover design.

I'm sure the inside is good, too.
    • RE: 3D Game Engine Design

We have this book at work, it's truly excellent. It's not for the faint of heart though, so be prepared for a huge amount of advanced math.

-Rez
    • Ogre is pretty good, and the price is right. I don't have a lot of experience with it since I wasn't on the port team when we were switching to it, but everyone seemed to like it. It had a pretty decent class hierarchy as well.

Gamebryo is what we're using now and so far, it's pretty good. If this is for a commercial product and you have the money, I'd say go for it. If not, I'd recommend Ogre.

-Rez
    • You might also want to check out Allegro. (see my sig for community/support site) It essentially takes you to the threshold of making your own engine and leaves you to write the rest.

If you like low-level control and are interested in writing your own engine, check it out. It's initially 2d with kind of a dangling support for 3d that you can take advantage of with an addon library called AllegroGL (and OpenGL, of course).

Even if you choose to go with something higher-level, like Ogre3d, it's always good to know what's going on underneath the hood.

Edit: I should also mention that Allegro.cc has a depot for you to post your project (should you finish it). And I know for a fact that it's actually worth having your project listed there -- Richard Phipps, a site regular, had his game reviewed in more than one UK gamer mag.

The post was edited 1 time, last by kibiz0r ().

• Although I am not such an experienced programmer I think that if it is to start game programming with a 3D engine, Ogre is an excellent choice (if not the best)!
      Except from all the features and the solid code structure the thing I really love in Ogre is the documentation.

However I agree with kibiz0r that it is better to know at least the basics about 3D graphics before starting with a high-level engine.

For 2D games SDL is also a good choice to check out (I prefer SDL to Allegro but for no particular reason, it just "fits" to me better)

The post was edited 1 time, last by poumpa ().

• I own both 3D Game Engine Design (both editions) and 3D Game Engine Architecture. I wonder if he'll make a second edition of the Architecture book....

Rich
      "Your job is not to die for your country. Your job is to make some other poor sod die for his."
    • Torque and T2D

I have made simple bomberman and tetris games using Torque2D, or torque game builder as I think its called now. I did have to pay a one time $100 licensing fee to get access to all their online documentation, and I have to say it took me a while to get the hang of, but I think thats due to the fact it was my first real project.

Has anyone else had any experience or have an opinion on torque or t2d?

Oh I just remembered, the best thing about torque/t2d is their community.. there are bizilions of posts about everything on their forum and they have their owns TDN (torque developers network) which is an online wiki of documentation. The only problem I had is they were still coming out with new versions of T2D very frequently since it was in development at the time I was using it, so a lot of the documentation/posts about T2D were for different versions, but I imagine things have settled down a lot with it now, and the 3D torque engine probably has even more support. Of course I DID have to pay to get access to all of this...

The post was edited 2 times, last by JamesFord ().

• I've been meaning to read that, actually....what did you like about it the most?
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • I would highly recommend it.

It gives a really good overview of professional game engines and tools (its an overview only though - there is no source code like GCC and very little included in the book). I like that its left up to you to pick and choose what you want to implement yourself. This is a good thing for where i am at right now.

I refer to it a lot for ideas for my own part time work. I also like that sometimes I see how things are done in work and have yet another perspective/reference to compare to how the same problem was solved in other game studios.

Plus Jason Gregory worked at Naughty Dog on Uncharted 1!!! You get a little insight into how things get done at probably the top "game engine" studio in the world right now or at least how they did things back in 2007! World moves fast :)