Online beta testing.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Online beta testing.

(For the long, noobish, rambled version, just read. For the short version, skip to the last two lines)
      In reference to MiguelChang1984's post, and reply, I'm wondering how many beta opportunities exist online. I know my art teacher from my past high school beta tested some of the Mech Warrior games from his home comp, had reports to write on it, and weekly meetings with a dozen or so others doing the same thing around the globe a few years ago. I know right now, to try to do that with my current skill and placement theres no way I could do this now. (Im pursuing a degree in computer engineering, and consider myself somewhere beyond a beginner c++ programmer, but nowhere near decent.) As was mentioned in MiguelChang1984's post, testing is a way to break into the game industry.

How many opportunities are there to beta test software for a company, even a small one, from a home computer? How would I find out about them?
      There are 10 types of people in this universe; those who understand binary and those who don't.
    • RE: Online beta testing.

It really depends. MMO's are your best bet for beta-test-from-home opportunities. Does it have to be a work from home thing? How important is it to you to break into the industry? I mean, is this a dream of yours, or just something that sounds neat?

If it's your dream, you will really want to consider moving. Looking at your bio, it says you're in Indiana and as far as I know, there are no gaming companies out there. By contrast, I work within walking distance of at least half a dozen other companies (big names like UBI soft and Eidos). I'm within driving/commuting distance of dozens. Furthermore, GDC is in out here as well (about 5 blocks from my office in San Francisco). GDC is the best place to find a gaming job once you're out of college.

My point is, if it's your dream, you should move out to where the action is. I guarantee that if you apply to all the companies out here and are willing to come into the office (and especially if you're willing to work without pay), you'll get people who will give you testing and possibly even simple programming jobs. And once you're out of school, you will already have a foot in the door and will be snatched up for a programming job pretty fast.

If it's not your dream or you're unwilling to relocate, your best bet is to find MMO's and sign up for beta testing.

-Rez
    • Thanks for the reply, I'll look into the MMO's, and I'll give some more information just so you know where I stand.

It is my dream to program, maybe not just games, but programming in general. I will be unalbe to relocate until I graduate, and will have a hard time doing it immediately afterwards. I probably will move if I get the chance, but for now, I'm looking for experience of any kind, paid, unpaid. I am realizing that the degree I am pursueing, computer engineering, will not focuss on programming as much as I would like.

I'm probably dreaming the impossible but for a while it has been what I wanted to do.
      There are 10 types of people in this universe; those who understand binary and those who don't.
    • If your dream is programming, why not pursue a degree in computer science instead of computer engineering? Change your major if you're not happy with it. I know a lot of people who changed their major partway through when they realize that what they thought they wanted to do isn't what they really want to do. For instance, I thought I wanted to be a game designer. Once I learned what designers actually do everyday, I realized that it would bore me to tears. Writing design docs, meeting after meeting, yuck! What I really wanted was to be a game programmer but still have some say in the creative aspect of the game. That's why I work for a small game company. Here, I'm more than just the implementer, I have a say in the design.

I know there are circumstances beyond your control, but I'm a firm believer in taking chances to follow your dreams. If you're not following your dreams, what are you doing? Of course, all of this is only my opinion, I'm just trying to give you a slightly different perspective.

By the way, I think God & Heroes is coming out very soon. You may want to shoot an email to Perpetual Entertainment and see if they're doing a beta test now. I can talk with some friends there for you if you like (they're down street from us).

-Rez
    • I'll have to look into that. I was talking about programming, and advisor talked me into computer engineering. I'm in my second semester, so I'll do the change if I can. I'll look into God & Heroes when I get home, got class now. Thanks.
    • Well I just researched Gods & Heroes, found a useful page as far as that goes. community.godsandheroes.com/ji…ernalID=390&categoryID=71
      Thanks for the offer to talk to some people there, but I'm going hold back for a week or so on this, given the project I was assinged in class today. Thanks for the help and advice, both here and elsewhere on the forum.