C++ Gotchas: Avoiding Common Problems in Coding and Design by Stephen C. Dewhurst

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• C++ Gotchas: Avoiding Common Problems in Coding and Design by Stephen C. Dewhurst

[IMG:images/includes/dewhurst.jpg]
      Find it at Amazon.com.

Originally posted by Kain
      Possible Book to Avoid:
      C++ Gotchas: Avoiding Common Problems in Coding and Design

by Stephen C. Dewhurst

I was flipping through this, and although he had some valid gotchas... something was missing. I can't quite put my finger on it. I'd like to know if anyone has on opinion on this particular book. I think it is a great concept because it's easier to keep track of what not to do than it is to remember what to do. There was just something about this book that bothered me on an almost subconscious level.
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • One thing I specifically remember about this book that raised red flags for me was the author ragging on the use of the NULL define instead of 0.

I felt that this is the kind of stuff that we do not want to throw into a book as an official mandate because it doesn't really matter... and then I wondered if this book is basically a programmer with strong religious feelings about his coding style trying to make everyone write code that smells like his code right down to the syntax.

But ... I didn't read much of it, so I don't know if there might actually be some good stuff in there about things like inheritance abuse or performance issues such as allowing the use of dynamic cast and stuff. If that were the case, then I'd reconsider my stance on the book.
    • Originally posted by Kain
      a programmer with strong religious feelings about his coding style trying to make everyone write code that smells like his code right down to the syntax.

Isn't that every programmers goal? I'd rather ppl wrote code like me, so that I can read it easier. :D
    • Ahh that is true, but I like to think that I do code the best way. :D I more often come in contact with people who code worse than better and as you have said, when I find better I start using that.

I think that if somebody codes in a better way than me, the guy who wrote the book or any other programmer who is talking about the best way to code then they will know better than to follow and will most likely give their views.

Anyway enough of my off topic rambeling, I think we are both sorta making the same point anyway, just from slightly different views. :D

So did this Book just become available on Amazon.com? I'm curious as to why Mr. Mike posted it.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Gerry ().

• The original post date is 2003. I posted this originally in his private forum because I was going through a crazy programming book phase at the time, and I just had a wild hair to revive this one... because I'm still not sure how I feel about this book, yet I love the idea.

It is a shame that you realized that we are making the same point, Gerry. I think it would have been fun to get into a heated escalating flame war argument for a couple of pages on this thread as we continue to make the same point over and over.

Oh well, there's always the rest of the internet.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Kain ().

• Originally posted by Kain
      I think it would have been fun to get into a heated escalating flame war argument for a couple of pages on this thread as we continue to make the same point over and over.

Oh well, there's always the rest of the internet.
      I suggest your first stop be the gta-sanandreas.com forums. You'll get a lifetime's worth of flames if you visit there for a day.