Game Testing/Internship search+Advice

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Game Testing/Internship search+Advice

I've tried Dice.com and I was wondering if anyone else knew of a good way to actually get some game testing/beta testing experience to "break in" to the game industry or if anyone knew of a website or search engine that is tailored to just that - Game Testing?

I am 22 Years old have taken AP Computer Science Courses in High School and am currently in College Majoring in Computer Science. I am familiar with C++/HTML/BASIC (Yes I do realize that HTML will not help me in any way to write games) and consider myself to be intermediate in C++ only because I know I am not a game programming god like John Carmack or of course Mike. I've read Game Coding up to half way already and plan on getting a Bachelor's of Science Degree in Computer Science in 4 years by Transfering to ITT Technical Institute of Technology.

Basically I am at a starting point in a career that I know will be difficult but well rewarding.

To fund this I plan on getting A+ and Network+ certifications to build some IT experience. I am 80% Done with Network+.

I'm aware of the growing demands and the workload involved especially to keep up with the evolution of technology. I'm ready to stay away 100 Hours in a week with coffee next to me as I logically debug and analyze code and at the same time meet a deadline. I can type 60+ Words per minute purely from the organized thoughts in my mind or from acoustic encoding (sound) with a 5% probabiliy of error in syntax.

I have the software and the hardware to practice game coding such as:

Software:
      3DStudioMax
      MilkShape 3D
      CoolEditPro
      Adobe Photoshop
      Jasc Paintshop Pro
      MSDN Library
      Microsoft Visual Studio 2005
      Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0
      Windows XP Pro
      BlitzPlus
      Blitz3D

Hardware:
      1 Desktop Computer
      2.0Ghz
      1.0Gb DDR RAM
      Radeon 9800 Pro
      Santacruz Soundcard with 5.1 Sound

1 Laptop Computer
      1.5 Ghz
      500 MB DDR RAM

500 Gygabyte Storage Server

(Both Computers have the same software setup)

As for Learning and Books Etc:
      Various Programming Tutorial Videos
      Various .pdf EBooks
      Programming Video Tutorials
      Mike's 800+ Page book and 20 other similar books on Game Programming and 3D Design.

Now here is what I need help with....

I am looking for some advice. Things that you can recommend I do in order to get to where I want to be. No work without experience and no experience without work. It's a funny thing though that at the age of 19 I already worked for Electronic Arts Los Angeles but it was just to help them with their move to their office in Playa Vista. After seeing how they work I studied what hardware they used and software closely so that I could also practice using similar software and hardware.

So for now I want to know if there is anything I need to use as for Software that can help me design games better.

My ultimate goal is to create a Massive Multiplayer Online game that is dynamic and fast paced and will take up at least 30% of all global market share of all MMO Games and I will.

As far as licenses go or other useful editors for picture editing or video thats what I'm looking for as for suggestions. Or maybe a better compiler other than Visual Studio (Yeah right... but who knows?).

So little time and so much knowledge to learn...

Thanks in advance,
      -Miguel Chang

myspace.com/miguelchang
      I'm all about the results...
    • RE: Game Testing/Internship search+Advice

Mike, you have been officially declared a deity. Congratulations! You can now enjoy tax-exempt status and you get worshipers!

I broke into the industry doing QA, so that's a pretty good place to start. I would say that more than anything else, the best thing you can do is build demo games in your spare time. You're absolutely right about the work/experience paradox. By building games in your spare time and making playable demos, you demonstrate that you have the drive, ambition, and sheer insanity to be a game programmer.

Once you have a good demo or six, shell out the cash for a GDC expo pass. There's a whole throng of HR people looking to slurk up some new hotshot on his way through the ranks.

Internships are good too, if you can afford it. Many don't pay and if they do, it's crap (like $8 - $10 per hour). If you don't mind not getting paid and just want to see the magic happen once or twice a week, it shouldn't be too hard to get in somewhere. Hell, if you wanted to move to San Francisco I might be able to get you something here (again, unpaid). If you're interested, shoot me a PM.

(Incidentally, we're looking an experienced engineer in the area so anyone with industry experience who's interested, PM me).

-Rez