GDC spam

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Has anyone else gotten their GDC flyer thing? Is it just me or is it exceptionally cheesy? The minimum system requirements made us all woozy. ;)

So who's planning on going? I will be there for sure, especially considering that it's walking distance from my work.

-Rez
    • RE: GDC spam

I'd better be there or the GDC secret police will be after me - I'm doing a lecture....but please don't bother showing up - they chose the lecture on using MS Project. Ah well....
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot

Wait, you're not going with the idea you were talking about last year? The one where you try to bridge the gap between engineers and publishers? That one sounded very cool!

So is this going to be an MS Project tutorial, or is there something specific you're lecturing on?

(edit) Incidentally, I'm highly amused by the concept of the GDC Secret Police. They torture you by forcing you to place that ancient ET game over and over and over until you gouge out your eyes and knaw off your own hands. Make it stop, Mommy!

-Rez

The post was edited 1 time, last by rezination ().

The title of the lecture is "Bend Microsoft Project to Your Will" - which was what I compromised from "Make Microsoft Project Your B**ch".

It talks equally about good scheduling/tracking practices as well as how to use them within MS Project. Kinda boring, I know, but useful.
      Mr.Mike

Our level designer just got promoted to Producer so you may see him at the lecture. I think we're going to try and use MS Project again. The more I learn about Project, the more I'm glad we pay other people to deal with it. ;) Refactoring the input system & camera is easy. Project is hard.

Can I come and heckle you? I'll bring cookies!

-Rez

Heckle away, Rez....just remember I get to hackle back...

Cookies are always appreciated, of course.
      Mr.Mike

Have you ever been? If not, you definately have to go. It's the experience of a lifetime for anyone with a passion for the gaming industry. Plus Mike is twice as fun when he's had a few drinks. I still remember that Magnadoodle story. GDI? Ha!

-Rez

Oh man - we're not even at GDC and Rez is serving it up - I hate to disappoint but I'm sure I'll be giving my lecture sober.

Afterwards, is another story altogether.
      Mr.Mike
    • Is it something I should try to go to? It's kinda hard to get in as a student, I'd imagine. But hearing that there may be cookies involved, I'm sorely tempted to try.
      Feel you safe and secure in the protection of your pants . . . but one day, one day there shall be a No Pants Day and that shall be the harbinger of your undoing . . .
    • To GDC? Yes, it is. It's a meeting of minds and filled with people who have a passion for game development. The keynotes talk about the direction various companies are going (or space exploration if you happened to catch Will Wright's speech) and the lectures & round tables often get you thinking in new ways. Then of course there are the little perks, like suite night where I met Mike & Kain, and the free stuff on the expo floor. If you're looking for a job, it's THE place to go.

-Rez
    • Originally posted by Kain
      I always come back from GDC with a massive inferiority complex. Honestly, it doesn't matter who you are, you will never be worthy of attending GDC.

So just attend, anyway. Kain will be there.

Hahahah! Dude, I know exactly what you mean.

-Rez

Somehow I think my kilt will be at the dry cleaners that week....
      Mr.Mike

No sir I was not thinking of the kilt, but I was thinking of shorts and a Hawain shirt.
      I was also thinking it might be cool to have a t-shirt with the cover picture of the book on the front and "I read MrMike's book and ______" (fill in the blank) on the back.

Me

That paints an interesting picture. "I read MrMike's book and now I got a job working twice as hard for twice as long at half the pay".

Who would ever want to be a game programmer anyway? You people are nuts! The only reason I do it is so that I'll be in demand when the apocolypse comes. Cause really, you think they're going to take a physicist over a game programmer? That would make the future rather bleak... might as well have someone who can make some entertainment!

-Rez

LOL - man that was funny.
      Mr.Mike

Shorts and a hawaiian shirt it is then....
      Mr.Mike

I have my receipt on my wall, so I'll be there to verify. Maybe I'll even bring a camera!

-Rez