Im writing my first game.....

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• TekTek! game progress

I wrote a little about it
      right here

edit : yeah, I know, not much there, perhaps I can post some concept art or something ...

anyone familiar with copyright laws? do I need to bother? If I post a bunch of concept art and model renders do I really have to worry about it being ripped?

later,
      -stellar

The post was edited 3 times, last by Stellar ().

• RE: Im writing my first game.....

Originally posted by Stellar

anyone familiar with copyright laws? do I need to bother? If I post a bunch of concept art and model renders do I really have to worry about it being ripped?

later,
      -stellar

Yeah dude, and you didn't do it fast enough, I already have a team of 20 working around the clock to get a beta version of this very same idea out the door by November 1st.

And then... I will be knocking on your door with a copywrite lawsuit!

-Dragon
    • RE: Im writing my first game.....

I patented the idea of video games back in the early 90's. You'll all be hearing from my lawyers.

Note: that's a lie.

Seriously: You could water mark your art or something. Nothing is keeping anyone from ripping the idea unless you can somehow prove that it was your idea first which is hard to do in the digital age. My suggestion is just to make the game and if someone comes out with a better one then tough luck, at least you have to experience and knowledge that will someday help you build another game that's better than theirs hopefully.
      .Code
      push you ; haha!
    • A cheap and easy way is to send copies of your art, notes, code, whatever to yourself via registered mail. Keep the materials unopened - the postmark is your proof of date. This will stand up in court, except in some states possibly (it's fairly bulletproof considering the cost in time and money to do it, but nothing really beats an expert).

This works with manuscripts for novels, so why not for your project notes, code, art, etc?

Rich
      "Your job is not to die for your country. Your job is to make some other poor sod die for his."
    • Or you can post it publicly and get tons of witnesses. On this forum - we take care of our own, right???
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • yeeeee! Thanks guys :D thanks for all advice. I think if you guys see it first im safe. I'll try the email backlog too, a few gmail accounts should do it :X hopefully they're still up to 2gb per account :P anyways, Ill be sure to post as much as I can.

oh and, at the expense of looking like an obsessed ultra geeklord.....
      "OMG OMG, I got and SYN from MrMike. Well, heres an ACK for you! Yippee"
      .... ok im done -_-

later all,
      -stellar
    • Originally posted by Stellar
      oh and, at the expense of looking like an obsessed ultra geeklord.....
      "OMG OMG, I got and SYN from MrMike. Well, heres an ACK for you! Yippee"
      .... ok im done -_-

You're allowed. ;) When I met Mike at GDC in March, I had my 30-second fan-boy rave about Ultima 7 and Thief 3. I was so excited, my hair turned green! (True story, ask Mike).

-Rez
    • Get over it you G00bz!

I'm just a schmuck like everyone else.

(Just don't tell Kain - I work with him and I think he still respects me....)
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • Looking great. Wish I had your artistic talent. Sadly, I'm a lowly programmer who draws stick figures in his spare time. Heh, stick figures are awesome.
      Feel you safe and secure in the protection of your pants . . . but one day, one day there shall be a No Pants Day and that shall be the harbinger of your undoing . . .
    • Stick figures, explosions, and unicorns are what comprise almost the entirety of my teaching repitoire that I use with my students. I'm currently in Norfolk, VA, teaching at NSU.
      Feel you safe and secure in the protection of your pants . . . but one day, one day there shall be a No Pants Day and that shall be the harbinger of your undoing . . .