source control

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• source control

Does anyone out there have any strong opinions on source control? We're looking at switching source control systems. Our biggest issues revolve around syncing between offices (one office is in New York, the other is in San Francisco) so we need something that handles this gracefully.

Any thoughts?

-Rez
    • Hahaha! "Here's change 407; I imported Relator.cpp, Relator.h, and Relationship.h. Also, I changed these 28 files. Here's the diff for each." I can totally see the ad on Craigslist now... "Are you ready for an exciting oppertunity in the gaming industry?"

And of course the final quote: "It was working so perfectly until we wanted to revert to an earlier build. The intern just exploded, literally. It took two weeks to get the office hosed out."

Kain, Perforce is one we're looking into. Three weeks from alpha probably isn't the most strategic time make such a huge change, but it's clear that we can't keep working with Alienbrain for too much longer.

-Rez
    • AlienBrain is really friendly for artists because of the thmbnail viewer, but I believe there is a P4 plugin that lets you see thumbnails for certain designated file formats.

A great diff tool I like to use is BeyondCompare. I set that as my P4 diff tool instead of WinDiff because it does a better job of putting parallel lines next to each other.
      scootersoftware.com/
    • One thing I'll miss about Alienbrain is Araxis Merge, which came bundled with whatever licence agreement we got. The thought of going to Windiff makes me want to cringe, hehe.

I'll check out BeyondCompare. The cost seems pretty low, especially considering that there are less than a dozen people in the company who ever need to merge. Have you ever used Araxis Merge? If so, how do they stack up?

-Rez
    • I think you can get AraxisMerge as a separate license the same way that BeyondCompare would be a separate license.

I've tried BeyondCompare, AraxisMerge, and WinDiff. I like BeyondCompare best. AraxisMerge is nice in that it draws lines to corresponding parallels, but I prefer BeyondCompare's method of showing correspondence: Instead of lines, they just make sure that corresponding parallels are exactly horizontal to each other, filling in the shorter version with easy-to-identify empty space.
      [IMG:http://www.scootersoftware.com/en/shot7w.png]
    • BTW, that screenshot wasn't a good example of what I was talking about for correspondence. If you had deleted a line on one side, that side would show the deleted line as a crosshatched area indicating that the crosshatched space is only being visualized by BeyondCompare, but it doesn't actually exist.
    • Okay, I think I'm sold. I like that much better; sometimes it's hard to get my eyes to easily see line-for-line what's going on in AraxisMerge since it bounces around. I'd rather have them line up.

-Rez