Hello!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Hello!

I thought I would say a little introduction being I just bought the book! My name is Glen and I work in the game industry. I just picked up this book oh like 5 mins ago and I'm really excited of getting more into it!

I'm hoping this book can help push me more into game programming and give me lots of real tips that I can use! I look forward to lurking around the forums. =)

Thanks!

-Glen

The post was edited 1 time, last by Famine ().

• Welcome! If you have any questions while digging through the book, let us know and we'll do our best to answer them.

You work for Funcom? Oh man.... The Longest Journey is the best adventure game I've ever played, hands down. I didn't even realize that Dreamfall was out.... I'm gonna have to grab it today!

-Rez
    • Originally posted by rezination
      Welcome! If you have any questions while digging through the book, let us know and we'll do our best to answer them.

You work for Funcom? Oh man.... The Longest Journey is the best adventure game I've ever played, hands down. I didn't even realize that Dreamfall was out.... I'm gonna have to grab it today!

-Rez

Thanks and yes I work for FunCom. Dreamfall is out now for both PC and Xbox. I had just picked up the book on my lunch break and now just waiting for the day to end so I can go home and READ! =)
    • the best thing about the book is that is goes into game architecture. Most game programming books tell you how to write a DirectX wrapper and happily ignore things like the seperation of Application components, events, writing portable code, etc. Nothing will kill a game company (especially a small one like mine) faster than writing janky code that can't stand up to the test of time. Well, that and nuclear winter.

My only complaint is that I wish there was more, but the book is already 1000+ pages, hehe.

-Rez
    • Okay... as a former QA guy, I have to jump in here. When I was at Maxis, the only people who worked longer hours than QA were the engineers. QA is a tedious and thankless job, and you only get paid in Mountain Dew (sometimes literally!) Your purpose in life is to find flaws in something that the rest of the company has poured their blood, sweat, and tears into. It's their baby.

I remember writing a bug once that the AI of the ships seemed pretty bad. I think I hurt someone's feelings; he apparently spent a lot of time on it. Still, the ship AI got considerably better after that.

I've seem too many engineers clash with QA. Remember, they want the same thing you do: a kick ass game.

(pant,pant) Okay, I'm done. End rant. ;)

-Rez
    • Well, I bought Dreamfall and have been playing it all weekend (literally; at least 25 hours now). I completely agree with Kain; this game is visually stunning. Even more interesting is the fact that the original game was sitting right next to it. It's amazing that this game is still sold on the shelves with other A+ games after, what, 6 or 7 years? I hope Rat Race does half as well. ;)

Seriously though, Famine, you can tell the developers that an insignifigant game programmer on the west coast working for an adventure game company loves their game and plans to show it to the powers that be. Quite honestly, I think there are some things you guys are doing better than we are, and other things I think we are doing better.

-Rez
    • Sure thing! I had the quote from the thread about the art on my ICQ away message so most of them saw that :)

I did do QA for Dreamfall and well we put in a lot of hours into making sure it was a great game and it is! Luckly enough for me I moved out of QA and on to community coordination for AoC/AO (lucky as in exciting new role). I still miss QA and it was the most fun I've had in a job.

As for Dreamfall being on the 360, it wont be released for it. That doesn't mean you can't put it on the 360 though so yeah if you do it then tell me how it looks! :p