need advice

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• RE: need advice

It's really not a matter of being an expert in directx. I barely knew any directx before reading Game Coding complete(first edition). It's really comes down to how well you know C++. Second edition of the book uses some advanced stuff like polymorphism and alot of OO design patterns that someone just starting C++ may not get.
      .Code
      push you ; haha!
    • RE: need advice

I totally agree, but this also brings up another point. The book isn't a DirectX book; it focuses on architecture and only uses DirectX to get something up on the screen. This is fine if you just want to see textured polygons.

If you want to write a real 3D engine, you'll need to suppliment the material here with something like 3D Game Engine Architecture, by Morgan Kaufmann. If you just want to make neat games, I would suggest snagging an engine like Ogre.

Either way, my advice is to read through the book and soak up the architecture. Once you have Teapot Wars (the sample game) up and running and feel comfortable with it and the architecture presented, you'll be ready to figure out where you want to go. And you'll only have to rewrite the human View layer. :)

-Rez
    • I agree as well... This book is by far the best I have read for getting a working engine up and running. It explains what all(I say all because I own 8 or so and none do it) other directx books stop with. Or they teach u the simple directx stuff and then drop it onto some non-reusable code that yer gunna hafta trash when u go to rebuild yer game for a professional feel and reusability.

That said, If you need a DirectX book and have programming knowledge go grab an Advanced DirectX Programming book. But dont start programming untill u have read this book(GCC). If all else fails, write a small game with basic directx in it to grasp the concept of how directx works, then before you start yer final engine design, read GCC.

I think overall you will be happy you read this no matter what even if you start it first. But have some programming knowledge first... If ya dont, hell a C++ in 21 days by sams publishing will get ya all the knowledge u need to understand this book.

GL,
      Brad