Loading minidump file + F5 = Reboot!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Loading minidump file + F5 = Reboot! - SOLVED

Hello all,
      I'm using Visual Studio 2005 Standard with WinXP SP2 to write a game in native C++. I downloaded all the symbol files that I needed using the symchk utility and stuck them under %systemroot%\symbols\dll. The symbol files load just fine when I run a debug session.

I set a breakpoint, run the debug session up to the breakpoint, do a "Debug-->Save Dump As...", save the dmp file. Close out of VStudio, then double click the dmp file to open it in VStudio.

Here's the problem. When i hit F5 to start the debug session, my comp instantly reboots!

Any ideas what's wrong?

When I come back up, and send the report to Microsoft, they tell me my bios is out of date, which can be a cause of crashes. I would rather not update the bios, as i've had trouble with this in the past. I'll try that only if nobody can help out.

Thanks,
      Gordon

---------
      EDIT: Found the culprit: It was ZoneAlarm Pro, version 5.5.094. When I shutdown ZA, I'm able to use F5 with the dmp file.

The post was edited 1 time, last by alphatrak ().

• RE: Loading minidump file + F5 = Reboot! - SOLVED

That's a wierd problem. How'd you figure that out?
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot