VC .Net and DirectX

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• VC .Net and DirectX

I note from the survey that the majority of people on this forum are using VS .net. What I am wondering though is whether people are using .Net and Managed DirectX as Microsoft is trying to encourage all game programmers to do or are they using plain old vanilla Win32 and DirectX. Maybe I am old fashioned but I think that plain old vanilla Win32 is suffiicient for developing games. I use .net for business appllications that I have developed for clients but I am not convinced of the merit of using .net and managed DirectX for games. Am I wrong? What is the feeling on the forum about this?
    • As nice as managed code is in a number of circumstances I STILL can't bring myself to write a serious game or engine using Managed DX/.NET. Maybe I'm just too accustomed to C++ but I like the amount of control you have over things as opposed to that of the managed languages and anything intended to be cross-platform can't be managed unless MS magically releases the .net framework for Linux, etc. Even if it were available how many in the community would actually embrace it being MS technology...I think it's safe to say it would be a wasted effort :).

The post was edited 1 time, last by Permafried- ().