Start Your Engine

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Start Your Engine

Has anyone taken a look at this book? Any comments? It's a book by Paraglyph Press on designing and programming race car games. I am not into developing a race car game but I am wondering if there is any valuable general information in this book. I am always looking for good game programming books. Of course, when "Game Coding Complete" is used as the measuring stick, it is hard to find books of the same caliber. IMHO, "Game Coding Complete" is THE BOOK ON GAME PROGRAMMING and all future books will be compared to this one.
    • RE: Start Your Engine

Hi,

I got the book a few months ago. I think there are some good sections. The author of the book focuses on "race cars", but surly some of the topics he addresses can be put into practice in other games or demos. Overall, its a book for beginners and covers some good topics.

S.

Blush.
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • I found the book to be a horrible read and a poor source of useful information. The down loadable code is literally hundreds of megabytes and the source code is hardly readable and very buggy. I was not able to get through chapter three without downloading his 'library' which loads a ppm image.

I don't mean to put down the book or the programmer, but I just had a bad experience and lost a few hours and enough money to buy another book I actually wanted at the time. As a plus, I did buy Game Coding Complete 2nd edition with it (so it wasn't all bad).

Sorry for the bad review. If anyone can say something positive about the book to balance this out... That would be great.
      ~ amblis

If Mike ever made a third edition, it would be so huge that he'd put Knuth's three-tome series to shame. ;)

-Rez

Originally posted by rezination
      If Mike ever made a third edition, it would be so huge that he'd put Knuth's three-tome series to shame. ;)

-Rez

And fasciles - don't forget those, though I've yet to pick any of them up. Still working my way through the core set - lol.
      "Your job is not to die for your country. Your job is to make some other poor sod die for his."