Pinned Source Code v2.1 (BETA)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Updates for Visual Studio 2005 or Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition

Mike, I've really been enjoying the book! Thank you!

I've made some minor tweaks to make the 2.1 beta code work with the free version of Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition, PhysX v2.3.1 (formerly NovodeX), and Boost 1.33.1. PhysX v2.3.1 is the current (and only) version available from ageia.com as of December 27, 2005.

I've broken it out into four zip files so you can pick and choose which updates to apply. It should be safe to install all four zip files (each package should be backward-compatible, but I've only tested them with VS 2005 and VC++ 2005 Express Edition).

Here is a description of each of the four zip files:

GC21beta_VS2005_update.zip - required for users of Visual Studio 2005 or Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition. Adds GameCode2_2005.sln, DX9Common_2005.vcproj, GameCode2_2005.vcproj, Lang_2005.vcproj, and TeapotWars_2005.vcproj.

GC21beta_VC2005Express_update.zip - required for users of Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition. Removes dependency on MFC / ATL.

GC21beta_PhysX2_3_1_update.zip - required for users of PhysX v2.3.1. Minor tweaks to work with changes since v2.3.

GC21beta_Boost1_33_1_update.zip - required for users of Boost 1.33.1. Minor code tweaks.

You should do a full rebuild after unzipping any of these packages.

Enjoy!
      Dan

The post was edited 1 time, last by Danno ().

• Updates for VC++ 2005 Express Edition

. . . the second zip file. . .

Note that if you are using VC++ 2005 Express Edition you will need GC21beta_VS2005_update.zip as well.

GC21beta_VC2005Express_update.zip - required for users of Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition. Removes dependency on MFC / ATL.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Danno ().

• Updates for Boost 1.33.1

. . . the fourth.

Read the updated readme_devsetup.txt (found in GC21beta_VS2005_update.zip and GC21beta_PhysX2_3_1_update.zip) for updated step-by-step instructions.

GC21beta_Boost1_33_1_update.zip - required for users of Boost 1.33.1. Minor code tweaks.

Dan
      Files

The post was edited 3 times, last by Danno ().

• Microsoft DevStudio .NET 2003

newb questions:
      What is Microsoft DevStudio .NET 2003 and where can I find it?

Is it the same as Visual studio?

Also, will the code (i.e. source code v2.1) work with the Bloodshed Dev-C++ version 4.9.8.0 and the mingw compiler ?

Thank you for your time, consideration, and not snickering too much at my ignorance.
      n00b
    • RE: Microsoft DevStudio .NET 2003

Dev Studio and Visual Studio are the same; the names are used interchangebly. 2003 refers to the version, which I think is 7.x (gotta love Microsoft's obfuscation of version numbers). You can get it at any major software store or online but be warned: it costs a butt-load of money (several hundred dollars; enterprise is over $1000).

The code *should* work with Bloodshed, but you will have to make several tweaks. There may be some MS-specific code in there, I'm not sure. Those parts will have to be rewritten. Give it a whirl and post any roadblocks you run into. If nothing else, it should prove a good excercise in frustration. ;)

-Rez
    • RE: Updates for Visual Studio 2005 or Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition

Ok, so now I am trying to compile this in vs express 2005.

I updated the files using the zips above and now I am getting about 144 errors that look like this:
      (3 types)

Error 4 error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __imp__wsprintfW gamecode2d.lib

Error 58 error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__AdjustWindowRect@12 referenced in function "long __cdecl DXUTCreateWindow(wchar_t const *,struct HINSTANCE__ *,struct HICON__ *,struct HMENU__ *,int,int)" (?DXUTCreateWindow@@YAJPB_WPAUHINSTANCE__@@PAUHICON__@@PAUHMENU__@@HH@Z) dxutd.lib

Error 144 fatal error LNK1120: 102 unresolved externals ..\..\Test/TeapotWarsd.exe

I am thinking about deleting my game coding complete file and starting fresh...
      will these steps only work for 2.1 or will your updates work for v2.2 also...I've tried the zipped updates with both versions and have had various results, but no luck...I admit though that this is kind of fun...

Getting this code to work is like playing a video game...
      n00b