My current state

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• My current state

It's really been a while since I've been overly active on the forums, so I figured I'd give you all an update.

I got my degree in May, graduating Cum Laude (rocking!). I started applying to places online, and really didn't get much interest. I tried a headhunter, but nothing came of it. I tried applying to Breakaway Games, but they really didn't have a position for me. My current employer hired my replacement, and so I went down to part-time (which was fine... I needed a day off each week for interviews and such).

Eventually, I got an email from a place about an hour away from me. They found ME on Monster (I hadn't applied to them), and eventually they offered me the position. I declined, as the salary was very low, and the commute was very far (and my car broke down while I was considering their offer, as a sign that I really couldn't take it). That kind of sucked, because that seemed like a pretty cool job (not games, though).

I applied to more places online, including to places like Nintendo. I actually put up a mini portfolio, as well. Still nothing. I ended up talking with a very successful businesswoman friend of the family, who hooked me up with Robert Half Technology. They got me an interview somewhere, but I didn't get it.

By this time, people are calling my cell asking for my resume. They tend to be Indian, and they tend to give me a different company name every time. So far, none have called back. I've also been getting email offers for jobs in NYC with outrageous pay scales. I never heard back from the ones I applied there, either. (You know, my current company replies to every resume) Oh, and my replacement at work quit before I did (haha!).

The night I found it I didn't get it, I blitzed the internet again, this time forgoing Dice and Monster, and going for CareerBuilder.com (which runs ads from the local newspaper, a definate plus). I actually got a hit! The next day, I had an interview scheduled. Then, before I even left the first interview, I had the second one scheduled. By the following Monday, I was given an offer. The money isn't great, the commute is average, and the job is completely unfamiliar (RPGLE programming on an AS/400). The company seems great, there's tons of room to expand, and they offered me a job. What else could I ask for?

Soo... my new replacement starts tomorrow (this one was actually hired under my supervision), and I start my job a week from today. In the past few weeks I also picked up two consulting gigs, and my old job is going to become my third one. Soo... that game I've been working on is on hiatus, after I'm done with these consults, and probably revamp my comic's website (the one only was pretty much my tech demo to demonstrate the technology, tweaked a bit. It's ugly)

Friday night, however... I get the most frustrating and exciting email EVER. ArenaNet emails me (I never applied to them or anything), saying who they are ("Have you ever heard of Guild Wars?" Hell yes!), and asking for my resume. Now they're going to call me tomorrow. Man I wish I finished that game I was working on, what a portfolio builder it will be! (It's actually only a month away from being portfolio-worthy, it's just not getting that month right now)

So... there I am. I even stopped my Warcraft subscription to get more work done.
      -Larrik Jaerico

www.LarrikJ.com
    • Hey, man! Don't leave us hangin here!

ArenaNet would be bad ass, dude.... Even doing monkeycode there would be pretty cool.

Don't forget - I'm an electrician. All of this programming and art stuff is purely hobby for me, but some day....
      "Your job is not to die for your country. Your job is to make some other poor sod die for his."

The post was edited 1 time, last by Nebuchadnezzar ().

• Well, I'm not exactly getting paid yet, but I'm under contract for 30% of profits on a J2ME game I'm working on. I'm "Lead Programmer," which actually reads as "only programmer," and the owner is doing the art (or not). I'm still not sure if he intends to have any sound in the thing. As it turns out Java is my fourth language, and J2ME is a tight-fitting straight-jacket to work in compared to C++. Still, easier than assembly... which I've never used on a mainframe BTW.

Although I guess an AS/400 would be considered a "minicomputer," in theory. Not exactly "big iron."
      "Your job is not to die for your country. Your job is to make some other poor sod die for his."

The post was edited 1 time, last by Nebuchadnezzar ().