My Code/Your Code?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• My Code/Your Code?

Hi again. Heh. You'll probably see me on here pretty frequently probing this idea and posing that question as I'm new to a LOT that this book has to offer.

This question is: When does code become MY code and lose it's legal implications?

Of course, what I'm aiming at is that the architecture described in the book is VERY good and so I will want to follow it pretty tightly (as in, the separation between app, logic and view layers. As well as the concept of event handlers, listeners, etc), and there are certain pieces of code that I have tweaked and trimmed to my preference (such as the HD, CPU and Memory checking code) and as I hope to eventually properly release the game we're working on and make money from it.. how much has to change before code can be considered free of distribution clauses and the like? As a whole I imagine my project will be very different (different Memory Cache for example) but for the smaller useful functions (that are also safeguarded by copyright headings) I just want to clear this up :)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Mingoo ().

• YOU HAVE NO CHANCE, MAKE YOUR TIME.
      ALL OF YOUR CODE ARE BELONG TO US!

Just kidding. Here's an excerpt from the header of one of the source files from the book:
      // This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.
      // To view a copy of this license, visit creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/1.0/
      // or send a letter to:
      // Creative Commons
      // 559 Nathan Abbott Way
      // Stanford, California 94305, USA.
    • Thanks. :) But I know that, my point is I don't want to have to distribute the code to my retail game (who does unless your intent is to support mods? [and this is MMO, so just no]) so if I know the rules that mean whether or not I am bound under that license I can actively avoid it so that I am NOT bound to release my source to the general public.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Mingoo ().

• The Creative Commons license allows you to use the code in a commercial product free of charge without distributing the source. If you start from the GameCode codebase, you still need to give the author (that's me!) credit for giving you a leg up. While a simple text line buried in the credits is fine, I wouldn't turn down spots on the splash screen, MP3 audio signing GameCode praises, and other stuff like that.

If you DO distribute the source, even if it has been modified, you need to use the same Creative Commons license.

In other words, you can't create a commercial game SDK using GameCode source and sell the derivative work for a profit. You have to be just as friendly as me and give it away.

If you start from scratch, looking at GameCode from time to time, and don't copy any of it, you don't have to give anyone anything.

Does that make sense?
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • If you can market "Teapot Wars" more power to you - you just have to give me credit somewhere.

And it might make a funny little game!
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot