Some quick questions

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Some quick questions

Hello every one im sure you reconize me from previous posts
      :þ. Im in school and work so i dont have much time for anything any more. I was just wondering if you guys think it is nessisary to take extremely hard classes in high school to get into a good college to learn the art, or take simple classes and go to a regular college.
      Also would learning Java contribute to anything in games? At school that is all that is offerd and Im sure most of you are quite older than me and didnt have a class called Ap(Advanced Placement) computer science but if you did did you have the option to take a Ap Exam and get college credit for the course.
      Well anyway i was just posting this because im taking Ap us History and it is mad hard.....I havent played a game in a month cause of freaking school all my other friends never have homework. So what do you guys think go to a simple college and lay off school, Or work my tail off and try to get into Ut Austin btw...requirements there are very high there. I was wondering about Itt tech or Devry are thouse any good or are they somthing to not consider

Thanks a bunch
      C4l3B
    • RE: Some quick questions

Yeah, I took AP Com Sci. I thought it was really easy and the AP test was even easier. Good thing about it though is it can count towards college credits if you score well on it.

Java is a good language, but i hated it. Where in C++ you can do whatever you want, however inefficant it may be. Java is what i would consider up tight. It does teach you Object Oriented Programming; well, more like forces it upon you. Overall it's a good class. I say take it.
      Wort wort wort.
    • Also, I've heard that UT still gives you the option to do C++ as an elective. Do whatever you can to take those electives and get good at C++. Java is a good language, but I'm not sure if it'll become a standard in the gaming industry anytime soon.
    • Yea im in the Ap class now and its really easy all where doing
      now is using add subtract multiply divide and moduling. Whats the test like is it really easy cause i think my teacher is not really teaching material i guess you could say. Like today we had a test over a worksheet we did out of the book. I mean comon... And im not sure but theres a Level two class and its either higher lvl java or c++ im not sure though
      hmm so go to Ut or is there better colleges as far as computer sciences goes?

btw...kain what college did you go to?

Thanks guys
      C4l3B

The post was edited 1 time, last by C4l3b ().

• I went to UT, but I don't know if that is the best school for games. It is an good school, though... and I recently wrote a nice letter to my old C++ prof (Glen Downing) who is still teaching and gave me a really good foundation. You're going to have to do your own research as to which school is the right one for you, but I would suggest a university over a trade school if you can get to it. You want the full university experience because you get more out of that university education than just academics. It will push you to your limits, and you may not make it all they way, but if you do make it, then you would have survived the gauntlet, and it will leave you a changed person for the better.

I took the CS AP class in high school. It was for Pascal and basically worthless as far as credits or knowledge went, but it gave me confidence in my programming abilities when I decided to switch to computer science three years after starting college. That confidence part is not to underestimated. Every starting programmer I've known was always one step away from giving up the coding thing and doing something "easier". It's all in the mind... literally.

Also, get used to teaching yourself; it really is the only way to learn. You're going to fall if you depend on your teachers to be good... because chances are that no matter where you go, you'll end up with crappy teachers. who have no concept of what they're teaching or who are too wrapped up in their research to pay attention to the class subject. Academic environments may not always give you the educational materials you need, but what it does provide is a framework for testing yourself and pushing yourself as you play by their rules to get that piece of paper. Once you get that stupid piece of paper (diploma), people will think you a finisher, and one who can work hard when they need to. It is like getting a first degree black belt.

Once you get your first job out of school, then your real education begins.
    • There are as many different ways to go as there are programmers. However, there seems to be one exception today. If you want to be a 3D programmer you gotta learn the math.

I got a BA in psych in 1986. I took a Pascal programming class for non-majors and aced it. The problem with a CS major then was that you HAD to take the advanced math courses with it. It was a science then and they were training the would be NASA programmers (I guess). Afterwards, I learned that most of the computer programming jobs were business oriented and required at most a knowledge of algebra. I went to the Computer Learning Center of Los Angeles and then got a job for an airline to program their computer reservation system. I worked with many others that had various levels of college (even Phds). Some never even went to college but had a natural ability for programming.

Meanwhile, my best friend from college went on to get his Phd in math with the intention of teaching math at the college level. Well, reality dealt him a blow, when he realized he would have no control over where he lived or for how long, and his wife (who also got a Phd in math) could not get a job where he got one nor he where she got one. He used his math skills to become a programmer for an CAD company and eventually worked for AutoDesk. His wife is now a programmer too.

Math is important for 3D games and CAD. Otherwise, aptitude for programming along with solid oral and written communication skills is essential. I was one of the best writers in the business when it came to design docs, and the product people found me easy to relate to. I credit the many papers I wrote in my liberal arts education for that. But, I got laid off because of the horrible politics of the last shop I worked in, along with their desire to outsource to India, Austen, and Denver. I live in Silicon Valley and am too expensive for them now. :baby:

I studied VB.Net briefly but found it incredibly easy and BORING. So, I am trying to learn Windows, Win32, C++, MFC, and even DirectX now from books. No one teaches game programming, except for some internet sites.

So, get the best education you can. Learning a programming language is the easy part. Learning a business application you can special in is the hard part. Colleges do not teach you the hard part, unless you want to minor in business, get an MBA and start a computer company, or study math and get a job as a game programmer or work for the CIA. A son of a coworker (now ex-coworker) just graduated from UC Berkely, with a CS degree and got a job with the NSA. Of course, you could also major in Engineering and work for a defense company.

In short, it is the OTHER knowledge that determines what area of the computer world you go into.

The post was edited 1 time, last by GamerRick ().

• Once you get that stupid piece of paper (diploma), people will think you a finisher, and one who can work hard when they need to. It is like getting a first degree black belt.

LOL, I know see a BS/BA as proof that you can put up with hours of hard work for a long period of time with very little immediate rewards. If anything, it is just a sign of maturity.

The post was edited 1 time, last by GamerRick ().

• Hey guys thanks for your comments i guess im going to have to buckle down on the math =/. Im worried though because i am a junior taking pre-ap algebra 2 when i should be taking pre-cal so i can take AP cal as a senior my only option pretty much would be to score high on the SAT or get a very high GPA. Reason being i know that UT requires a
      cal class unless you score like a 500 and somthing on the SAT.
      Kain if you wouldnt mind would you tell me a little bit about how you got into UT i know theres consulers at school for this but did you have to take calculas to get in and about what was ur GPA. I would really appreciate it but if you feel unconfortable for any reason then you dont have say nothing at all =/

Thanks You guys
      C4l3B

The post was edited 1 time, last by C4l3b ().

• I like this article:
      1up.com/do/feature?cId=3142861

The one person I've worked with from Guild Hall received a Master's degree there. He says that going there was basically like getting two years of game industry experience in a concentrated amount of time... and I believe him... he was truly exceptional if not a bit eccentric.

I entered UT in Fall of 1993... a lot has changed since those days. The admission process did get tighter because UT was undergoing criticism for being a diploma factory... and the dropout rates were really high (when I started, it was stated that only 33% of the incoming freshmen would reach the senior year at UT). That combined with overcrowding issues led to admissions becoming more stringent. I got into UT because my high school GPA was in the top 10% of the graduating class. Back then, that meant automatic admission. I don't know if they still do that.

GamerRick has a good point in that there is no one set path to programming what you want to program. Right now, it might seem like getting into a good college is the biggest factor in where you go, but it won't be the end of the world if you don't get into UT or whichever school you were gunning for. As you get closer to your goal, you'll find more forking paths and more options available that may lead you to places you never would have considered before. The most important thing in all of this is to have a goal, and you've already got an advantage on that one. Good luck, C4l3b.
    • Hey thanks a bunch Kain i really appreciate your knowledge :D and answears the 10% rule still applies and i think im probably in the the 15% area right now but hopefully ill be able to get it.
      Any way thanks a whole bunch for telling me about ur past experiances it will really help me in the years to come.

Thanks Kain,
      Thanks Gamer rick
      C4l3B