Compiling DXUT

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Compiling DXUT

when I try to compile the samples from the book, it works, 0 errors.

when linking, I get about 7 errors along the llines of
      missing extern :: DXUT.....
      I believe this means I need a compiled version of the DXUT files. however, they wont compile on their own, or when included in my project.

any advice?
      (Place cool Signature here)
    • actually, i set it depending on one of the sample projectgs (Empty Project) and tried compiling it, and I got more 'reasonable' errors.

DXUTsound.h doesn't think DWORD_PTR is declared (where is it declared?

and DXUTgui.h wants to include dsp10.h, which does not exist...
    • That's typedef for the 64 bit compiblility thing. check your compiler options to make sure you have check for 64 bit comp errors set Some of the latest headers have been screwed up by people assuming you're setup a certain way

If that doesn't work what direct x sdk are you using
    • Have you tried playing around with your project dependencies? Maybe your problem is a case of an order dependency between projects.

In your solution explorer, right click on the project and choose "Project Dependencies...". Make sure your main project (GameCode2?) is marked as dependent on everything else in that solution.

I hope that works.
    • I set my porject dependeing on the sample "empty project"
      and it has 2 errors,6 warnings

the six warnings are in dxstadfx.h, refering to
      #pragma deprecated(
      which it doesnt understand

the two errors are
      in dxutmisc.h "_noop" not defined.
      where is this defined? and what should it be definecd as?

and DXUTgui.h
      it wants to inlude <dsp10.h> but this file doesnt exist anywhere!?
      if I comment out the include, the same error happens with dimm.h
      if I comment them both out, dxutgui.h cant compile for lack of definitions
      does anyone know what this dsp10.h is?

DXUTgui needs definitions of a class/struct/typdef SCRIPT_STRING_ANALYSIS, but this isnt in any headers I

as for my SDK, i have microsoft VC++ version 6.0, and the april 2005 DirectX

The post was edited 2 times, last by yen ().

• did realize you were using v6.0.
      I don't think newer SDKs like that are designed with v6 in mind

_noop is an extension designed to remove code that's used to debugging and such

Example from the help

// compile with or without /DDEBUG
      #include <stdio.h>

#if DEBUG
      #define PRINT printf
      #else
      #define PRINT __noop
      #endif

void main() {
      PRINT("\nhello\n");
      }
    • Im looking at the sample code, if thats what you mean.

I think my main problem is with dxutgui.h, which wants to include usp10.h, which I dont have.

where do I get this file? i checked microsofts site, and they have information abot how to use its various properties, but they dont apparently have it for download

edit:
      Upon taking closer look... you need the Windows Platform SDK? that might be a problem, as the SDK download site states specifically it does not support VC++ 6.0. would I need to get the CD? or just buy the .NET?

out of curosity, is .NET still c++, or is it managed code, or what?

The post was edited 1 time, last by yen ().

• By GameCode2.exe, I meant the actual source code and project based on the book that is denoted by this icon:

Here's the link:
      mcshaffry.com/GameCode/attachment.php?attachmentid=91

I believe it includes 'dxutgui.h' within it. It is almost impossible to get a sample of Teapot Wars running without taking a look at the source code that you download from the author's website.

.Net is still C++. Managed code is optional; in fact, I have no idea how to do managed code even though I've been using .Net for about 5 years. They've fixed a lot of bugs since 6.0 in .Net.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Kain ().

• yes, I am using the soucecode..
      I have DXUTgui.h, thats not the problem, the problem is that it wants to include usp10.h, which I dont have.
      incedentally, the readme for the source says it requires .net edition

is there any way to compile the samples with version 6? i did some old DirectX on it, just not using the sample framework
    • Have you done the following?

This source requires a few minor modifications (compliments of ssiva on the GCC2E forums) to get it up and running:

OK so I bought this book and I like it, but it took some effort to get the examples to work. Here is what I did. It now compiles and runs.

1. Copy NxFoundation.dll and NxPhysics.dll to GameCode2\Bin (as opposed to the .lib files mentioned in the readme).

2. Added the code "using namespace std;" to line 12 in file DXUTMisc.h

3. Changed line 562 in Physics.cpp to BoxDesc.shapeFlags |= NX_TRIGGER_ON_ENTER | NX_TRIGGER_ON_LEAVE

I think item 2 might cure what ails you....
      "Your job is not to die for your country. Your job is to make some other poor sod die for his."
    • sigh.
      as for items one and three, I am currently just trying to get SOMTHING to compile, so I was just doing the main loop samples.
      (actually, I was just using the dxut sample code, which uses no GameCodeApp type object)
      so, Im not even implemenmting physics yet. I dont even have a game logic. im just trying to compile and run a directX capable window.

as for item two, I added the line, but evidently, none of the DXUT files use any og the standard libraries, as it didnt know what the std namespace was until I included one manually.

By the way, how exactly do I use __noop? my compiler complines that it isnt defined, and I cant find a definition anywhere.
    • I'm afraid I have some bad news. :(

I was looking into this to figure out why you were missing those files, and it turns out that the file that is #included by DXUTgui.h, usp10.h, currently resides in the following directory:
      ...\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Vc7\PlatformSDK\Include

DXUTgui.h, along with many of the other files in the sample codebase assume that you have the standard includes and libs that come with Visual Studio.Net, which is probably why the 'readme_devsetup.txt' file specifically states that Visual Studio.Net is required to get this code to run.
    • well, I got .net, set my project depending on dxut 2003, and it compiles!

unfortunately, its missing somthing on the link
      it warns me LIBCMTD.lib conflicts with other libraries, and it complains that a load of externals are unresolved.
      including:
      _IID_IDirect3DSwapChain9
      and such.

according to the documentation, IDirect3DSwapChain9 is declared in d3d9.h, which i am including.
      I am also explicitly including d3d9.lib, under the 'additioal dependences' section of the link tab of the properties
      edit:
      using /verbose:lib, i discover that d3d9.lib IS being searched...

The post was edited 1 time, last by yen ().

• No, it doesn't include DirectX. And a good thing, too - DX is getting to be a very large download and the Platform SDK is growing, too - though not as fast. Since they're not in synch I'd just as soon they stay separate.
      "Your job is not to die for your country. Your job is to make some other poor sod die for his."