Dark Games SDK

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Dark Games SDK

About 5-6 years ago I used a program called DarkBasic. DarkBasic is a basic programming language that allows you to do 2D and 3D programming. As of today I was looking through there site and found Dark Games SDK.

Has anyone tried this? I liked DarkBasic allot for it's simplicity, and I'm imagining that the SDK for C++ is very much the same but allows all the advantages of C++. I'm think it might be a good little stepping block for someone like me struggleing with DirectX.

Here is the link .
      Wort wort wort.
    • Hmmm, it seems like a C wrapper over various components but with very little glue to hold them all together. I guess though, that a book like Game Coding Complete could be useful in picking up such an SDK and rolling it into your own framework.

The burning question I have about the DB SDK is "What does it offer that you can't already get for free?". We have things like Irrlicht and OGRE for graphics, Audiere for sound and the other various libraries such as RakNet for networking and Newton for physics/collision. That said, an 'all-in-one' package is likely to have better integration with each other, which can only be a good thing.
    • I never really understand why external libraries fail to work with GCC. I'm a GCC user myself and have to put up with several libs crashing on me (DevIL, NovodeX, etc) - it gets annoying after a while :(

Does anyone know *why* these libs could fail like this? More often or not, they're compiled into DLLs - does GCC do something wrong when calling the procs?! Who knows...

The DB SDK is intriguing; they're advertising it as a C++ SDK, when the API appears to be straight C ;)
    • RE: Dark Games SDK

I hate to dog other peoples work too badly but I'm not that impressed. If you're looking for an all in one product I think Torque is better. Multi-platform (XBox version too from what i read). They're working on shader rendering and evolving the product

There are some nice graphics, sound, and physics engines in open source (as other have already said). I'd give OGRE if i were you before the dark basic SDK