Getting Video Card Info

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Getting Video Card Info

Hi,

Does anyone have code or know of any links that have
      code, tuts. or other information on how to get
      video card infomation and display it? Heres an example of
      what I would like to display.

Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation.
      Type: GeForce4 Ti 4200, APG.
      Version: 1.5.0
      Memory 128 MB.
      Other: This card is old! Get a new one.

Thanks,

Sabrina.
    • Well, almost every one of Andre LaMothe's series describes how to enumerate video adapters and their capabilities, at least in relation to having the app automatically choose the best adapter and mode (assuming that there is more than one adapter).

The DX9 docs have a listing for the D3DADAPTER_IDENTIFIER9 Structure, very interesting - fill this with the IDirect3D9::GetAdapterIdentifier() method. A quick read of these two entries in the DX9 docs seems to imply that this could be a very simple way to get the info you are looking for.
      "Your job is not to die for your country. Your job is to make some other poor sod die for his."

The post was edited 1 time, last by Nebuchadnezzar ().

• Teapot Wars (from GameCode2.exe) displays Video Card information on the screen.

Search the Teapot Wars code for 'GetAdapterIdentifier'. That is the step in which the actual name of the video card and all of its properties are filled in.

For the textbook answer, here is Microsoft's page on the use of the IDirect3D9::GetAdapterIdentifier Method:
      msdn.microsoft.com/library/def…/GetAdapterIdentifier.asp
    • Hi guys,

Thanks! I think I got it working now!! I got all the info printing out to the screen, and I'm adding more features.

Follow up:

Lets say that I am using the "CheckDeviceType(..)" function to test for "D3DFMT_A8R8G8B8", "D3DFMT_X8R8G8B8", "D3DFMT_R8G8B8" and others. Is there a corresponding message I could display to the user or send to a log that would be more meaningful? I found this site:
      msdn.microsoft.com/library/def…e/d3d/enums/d3dformat.asp
      I was thinking of taking those messages and just add them to a log file or send then to the screen, but I'm woundering if there is a better description to use? What
      would the "pros" use?

Thanks again!

Sabrina.