Release 1.1

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Release 1.1

Hey there -

I'd like to start planning the next release of the source code - perhaps for September or October.

There are a few compilation problems, etc. and perhaps an addition or two that would be nice.

- Fix the min/max compilation bug.
      - Fix the bug in CDirectSoundAudioBuffer::VPlay
      - Update the code to work with Novodex 2.2
      - Integrate Lua (or LuaPlus) with an example.

Any other suggestions?
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • RE: Release 1.1

Wouldn't lua just over complicate the code?
      Personally, I would worry about simplifiying it so people with less expeirence can understand it better rather than adding stuff.

I agree with Larrik, add lua to the source when you come out with third edition and you can explain it more
      .Code
      push you ; haha!

I say go for it now, we can have the 3rd edition code and debug it and its build process a little better.

maybe put the code in a seperate folder in the install and mark it with a read me as extra or alpha code

gb
    • Novodex 2.2

It would be nice if the code would work with Novodex 2.2. I just started reading the book and playing with the samples and I can't get them to work. I can't find a 2.1.2 version of Novodex either...

By the way, great book. I've been reading it for two days now and I already regret becoming a J2EE developer. I hope it's not too late to make a career change :(
      All your base are belong to us.

Well, expose tons of stuff to Lua. We would want to be able to play sounds, create objects, control AI, all that good stuff. That's where I'm having so much trouble right now - I haven't done my research and just jumped in. I'm trying now to integrate it into more systems so that I can have more control, but it's just kickin my butt. I'll get a handle on it though.

Novodex 2.2 is a great thing too. Better physics is always a welcome thing.

How about a little bit of an example of how to set up effect files for integration into a materials system....

Terrain?

Etc....
      "Your job is not to die for your country. Your job is to make some other poor sod die for his."

Here's another thing we'll do in Release 1.1 - we'll include the SDKs that are publicly distributable, such as OGG and BOOST.

We'll create a stub for the Physics as well as a class that integrates with Novodex 2.2, but we'll disable it by default if you don't want to bother with 2.2 just yet.

This should help reduce the pain of getting the source code up and running.
      Mr.Mike
    • Ok - it's nearly done - a few more days and I'll put up a first blush.

I've even updated the source code to use the DirectX Framework from the DX9c June 2005 update - the Framework code changed quite a bit lately.

Any volunteers who want to download the new source and give it a try, please PM me. Hopefully we'll have some .NET 2003 and 2005 users out there, as well as people who HAVENT downloaded any of the SDKs except for DirectX.
      Mr.Mike

Its never too late...
      Mr.Mike

All true - if you start with a VC6 project VS.NET will convert it - and then you have to fix all the wacky problems.

Of course - if you don't even HAVE VC6 lying about, its nigh impossible to create the DSW and DSP files...
      Mr.Mike