Terrain generator

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Terrain generator

First of all let me say that I am expecting the UPS person to deliver my copy of the 2nd edition on Wednesday and I can't wait. I loved the first edition. I am planning to program my game in C++ and use Renderware as my 3d Engine. What are others doing for terrain (mountains, grass, etc.)? I am using Maya for my characters. Should I just continue to use Maya for my terrain or is there something better out there that is not too expensive. I have MojoWorld. I have contemplated using that.
    • RE: Terrain generator

Bringing the subject back on topic -

At BreakAway we're using Max for creating our terrain, but we're building specific static environments and don't need a regular terrain grid. I'm assuming you want to create something similar - if so then Maya will work fine.

If you need to do something special with terrain, such as streaming or dynamic level of detail - as you would need in a flight simulator - then your grid can still be built in Maya, but you need a serious terrain rendering layer on top of Renderware to handle the LOD and streaming.
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • Hell yeah! I had a chance to tinker with RenderWare about three years ago and it drove me nuts. Spent about 3 weeks trying to work out a custom 3D sprite system that would display a world-aligned alias of a 3D object, only to discover that the base sprite I was extending was being rendered directly in screen-space. Felt sorta stupid (like I do now just talking about it).

I'm planning to spend the next several months building a streaming terrain system to plug into Mike's code, as well as getting the GameCode scripted with Lua 5. It could be years, I guess - I'm sort of working on this as a distraction from another project to ease brain-cramps.

There are a few really cool random image generators out there that you can use to make random terrain heightmaps with - then you just use them to deform your plane in Maya/MAX/your 3D package for quick area terrains. Then just boil the shape back into a mesh and customize. TerraGen is the only one I can think of right now, but there are tons out there. A friend turned me on to TerraGen because he was using it to make tracks for Motocross Madness 2.

Anyway - enough rambling - hope there was something useful in all that!

Rich
      "Your job is not to die for your country. Your job is to make some other poor sod die for his."