How dependant should i be?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How dependant should i be?

I'm working with a 3d graphics engine that is(like many graphics engines) more than just graphics. It incorporates windows creation, system events (keypresses and all that), and even had some physics involved.

The question i have is how far away should i keep this grpahics engine from the rest of the game. Should i wrap it all up in a class to keep a layer between it and the rest of the program? Or should i simply not worry and make direct calls to the api throughout the basic program.

Under mr. mike's game model i would use it as another module and shove into the BaseGame class. But this project is to small to use such a complex/abstract layering system(plus time constraints)

The answer is probibly fairly obvious i just refuse to accept it. Any advice would be greatly apprecitated.
      .Code
      push you ; haha!
    • RE: How dependant should i be?

Agreed. This project might be small, but your next project may be less small, and it would be nice if you can start your less small project based on work you did for your small project. Your choice at this point will have a lasting effect on your neuron pathways for years to come.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Kain ().

• RE: How dependant should i be?

I'd wrap it, but not necessarily into one hulking monolithic class. Have specific classes (input, graphics, windowing, etc.) instead, and if you wanted to drop in a specific input system, while keeping the rest of your API in use, then its a much simpler process.

So basically, organize by function, not by tool.
      -Larrik Jaerico

www.LarrikJ.com

The post was edited 1 time, last by Larrik ().

• Abstract the windows messaging system one level and have the graphics engine receive game messages that you have created instead of windows messages.

So instead of having the graphics engine respond directly to WM_MOUSEMOVE, have WM_MOUSEMOVE result in the creation and sending of game event called Event_MouseMove(dx, dy) or something. This adds some extra cycles to your game loop execution, yes, but you gain a completely platform independent graphics system as a result.
    • That's all fine and dandy. The one thing i still dont understand is if i have an abstracted message pump in my game engine how am i going keep the graphics engine seperate but still able to communicate with the message pump.

Maybe i just designed it wrong. I'm trying to keep the graphics engine and Game engine resembling two independent structures standing right beside eachother in the application layer. This allows them to communicate but still be seperate. Am i missing something?
      .Code
      push you ; haha!
    • Hmm...
      I guess I am confused as to definition of game engine. I assume graphics engine covers screen output, but what game application functions are covered by the game engine? Is it everything else? (user input, network management, disk I/O).

Is your graphics engine an event listener that can receive your customized game events such as Event_ObjectMoved?

Having the separate parts of your engine be independent structures is definitely a great way to go, and they should all talk to each other the same way: through the event system.

I guess that is where I am not understanding something about your question. Why is the event system not a viable means of passing messages to your graphics engine?
    • It does cover graphics output but it also does all the window create and window message interpretation for you as well. So when i say "Event" i mean the engine's propietary message pump that output all the keypresses and things that are sent through windows.

I can see how the term "Graphics engine" can confuse alot of people (even me). I'm still a noobie when it comes to all this stuff.
      .Code
      push you ; haha!
    • ok, so messages are coming from the windows message pump to game logic.

And if I understand correctly, you are wondering how you can keep the graphics portion of your engine independent while still having it respond to these messages?

Maybe the piece you are missing is having the game logic be a sender of messages. For maximum independence, you don't want to send ALL messages directly from the message pump to the graphics engine (as you were already saying), but that means the graphics engine will need to respond to another source of messages. That source could be your game logic.

Would you say that the graphics portion of your engine is set up in such a way that it would be possible to replay the events of the game based on automated serialized data recorded from the game logic? (sort of like the automated testing described on page 826 of 2nd edition, but with game logic actions as opposed to keyboard/mouse input)

If the answer is yes, then I think you already have the solution to your question. If the answer is no, then try making it so that the graphics portion of your engine does not respond directly to messages from the windows message pump; that is what I meant by the single layer of abstraction between windows messages and the custom events described in McShaffry's book. Something translates those windows messages into game-specific events. Like W-A-S-D keypresses are translated into forward-left-back-right movement events.

There's a good chance that I still don't understand your question. But I am a firm believer in the process of elimination. :)
    • Well yes and no. This is very confusing.

The "Graphics Engine" is taking the messages from windows (i.e. OnKeyDown and OnMouseMove) and sending them to me through a IEventReciever.

IEventReciever consists of OnEvent(SEvent event) which is pure virtual(duh). It send me a SEvent which is the engines own structure.

I need to get the windows message FROM the graphics engine, translate it, and send it TO the game logic. All-the-while keeping my code independant of any of the Graphics engine's structs, functions, or things that i cant easily move to, for example, a differnt graphics engine.

I understand that this is a really weird situation but there is no way for me to get messages from windows through MsgProc() or anything like that. I HAVE to use the graphics engine's. Understand my delima?

*edit* i hate typos
      .Code
      push you ; haha!

The post was edited 1 time, last by DarkPenguin ().

• I think I understand, now.

What you are wanting (graphics engine to be easily replaceable without a massive reworking of game structure) is not possible for the reason that your graphics engine is married to the operating system's interface.

You can lessen or possibly eliminate your problem by separating the the message pump from the "graphics engine" as much as possible, thereby treating the whole message pump portion of your graphics engine as a separate entity.

That way, you will have an independent OS interface entity (which holds the message pump). This would abstract all of the OS-specific messages into SEvents. Your "graphics engine" will be a receiver of these SEvents, as well as your game logic. Your game logic will also be a sender of those SEvents. Ideally, the core of your application should be the game logic, not the graphics engine. Think of it as building your game around the logic portion and not the graphics portion.

At this point, you're just going to have to ask yourself if it is worth it to do this reorganization just for the sake of not having to redo the OS interface portion of your app if you were to change graphics engines. Sometimes, you just have to pick your battles and leave the rest for version 2.

...Although separating that OS interface from graphics might not be as big a task as I'm making it out to be.
    • Heh.Are you really really sure that the graphics engine doesn't have an option to turn off its interception of signals?

SDL and ncurses (the two I've worked with most) handle input, and I've found them to be easy to wrap or simply use (ncurses doesn't have much competition to port to). A normal game/logic view, as described in Mike's book, would keep the user's raw input as far away from the logic as possible. But, take comfort in the fact that changing your input system is WAY easier than the graphics system, so if you gain weeks of development time by simply not worrying about it, then I'd say just do it as it works.

If this is one of your first projects of this sort, you probably won't find yourself re-using a whole lot of your code. The second tgime around, you'll probably write a version of this code that is 3x better, in half the time. Mike's book is geared to teams (well, usually), and he certainly doesn't emphasize the one major thing that a single-man (or small team) needs to focus on: get it done! Just do it!
      -Larrik Jaerico

www.LarrikJ.com