dev-c++ question

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• dev-c++ question

It maybe that i'm not yet knowledgeable enough to get the examples to work, or it might just be that they don't work in dev-c++. is ther anyone that uses an alternative compiler and is successful in compiling the examples. I dont have VS.NET and I'm also sad that I can't get the source code.exe to work ethier :(
      your just jealous because i've been talking with babes online... all day.
    • RE: dev-c++ question

The things you may have to worry about when it comes to compiling on a different compiler is the #pragma's everywhere (they may be compatible but i'm not sure) and the external libs that are used. In theory i cant think of any reason they source wouldnt compile on Dev-C++ or even Turbo C++)but it may take some tweeking.
      .Code
      push you ; haha!

Dev-C++, since it uses GCC, is quite a bit different to setup than VS.NET, especially when it comes to things like libraries. So, you can't follow .NET setup instructions. The most important difference is the way you use the linker: in .NET you would put the actual DLL file name in to your list of libraries, but in Dev-C++ you would set the library path, and then you need to put the '-l<libraryname>' (that's a lower-case L). The REAL trick is that <libraryname> is NOT the file name.

Besides that, watch out for compiler-specific directives, like the aforementiong #pragmas, but there may be others. (They usually start with an underscore). Otherwise, you need to react to each error as you get them
      -Larrik Jaerico

www.LarrikJ.com

I was always taught that #ifndef <name> #define <name> was teh correct way to go for cross-compatibility. I didnt even know #pragma once existed until mr. mike's new book. Now i use it all the time. Thank you mr. mike for inspiring the lazier side of me.
      .Code
      push you ; haha!