Godzilla vs. DirectX framework...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Personally, I dont like using the framework. It introduces a lot of inflexibility. Take for instance the Sprite class they give you. Theres no to control the blending mode for it. Your just stuck with what they give you. I could be wrong but I think Mr. Mike just used it in the code because it got the job done in fewer lines of code and made it easier to understand. In my project I abstracted all the rendering functions to an abstract interface and then implemented them in DirectX or OpenGL at run time through a QueryInterface() function. Its a little harder to put together but its worth it.

-Frank
      So long and thanks for all the fish.
    • You are missing a critical aspect of object oriented programming: If you feel their Sprite class is missing some vital fuctionality that you really want, just inherit from it and use your UltraSprite child class instead. You gain all of their work and you can still add what you need or override behavior you don't like. There is no "inflexibility" except in the mind of the creator - "free your mind, Neo."

Rich
      "Your job is not to die for your country. Your job is to make some other poor sod die for his."
    • ...Although there is such a thing as inheritance abuse. :)

I have a feeling that MrMike intended for his code to be a starting point, and there is no reason why he wouldn't mind if you ended up editing his original Sprite class for your own purposes or redid the main loop in a different way.

On the topic of inheritance abuse, you want your inheritance tree to be as flat as possible. A tall inheritance tree increases the chance of cruft forming in the older base classes that never gets used and only serves to confuse newcomers (google "lava flow antipattern") as well as needlessly inflate the memory footprint of the exe.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Kain ().

• Perhaps the strongest case for using the DirectX framework is the virtual elimination of wacky Windows specific application and screen resolution problems - such as Alt-tabbing away from a full screen game app to another Windowed game app and switching the screen resultion from 32-bit to 16-bit and dragging the windowed game app halfway onto a second monitor while having a third person use remote desktop to see what's going on while accessing Microsoft Outllook.

See what I mean?

This is why I prefer console game development!
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • whats with directx? OpenGL seems simpler but Directx is more popular for games is there a major difference?
      If you fail do not fret... Just destroy the evidence and imprison the witnesses.

I used to hate cellphones but now I hate car accidents -Norma Jean
    • They are completely different API's, so nearly everything is different. ;)

At a higher level, DirectX is Microsoft-specific and runs on Windows machines (and Xbox) while OpenGL tries to be as system independant as possible and runs on pretty much everything. Use whichever one you feel most comfortable with. If you're just starting, using something your comfortable with is much more important.

Most game companies I know of will license a real 3D engine (like Gamebryo, which is what we use) that abstracts it all so you never have to worry about it. Some venture forth and write their own.

-Rez
    • You're allowed to modify the DXUT framework as much as you like. So just change the Sprite class the way you wish it to be.
      I modified my version of DXUT to remove the 'UNICODE only' restriction. And I'm not using the Sprite class or other types of classes they wrote.
      Because I really dislike their style of designing a system.