Will this book work with c++

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Will this book work with c++

I just finished the Sams game programming in 24 hours and now want to move on to directX. This book seems to be what I want. My questions are:
      1)Does this book use C++ or C#?
      2)I use VC6, is this a problem? I don't want to have to buy VC7.
      3)Does this book contain sample games that help you see what you've learned put into action?
    • 1) The book uses C++.
      2) I'm not sure about this one. Mike used .NET, but I don't really see why it wouldn't work with VC 6. You'll have to recreate the projects, but the source code itself should be fine.
      3) There's an example game called Teapot Wars that puts it all together.

The coolest part about it all is that if you have any trouble, just post to this board. There are number of people here who will help you. They have certainly helped me. :D
    • RE: Will this book work with c++

To answer #2, yes, you can use VC6. However, you will have to follow the directions for setting up the DirectX SDK from Microsoft's website (the installation won't set it up for you automatically when you use anything earlier than VC7). Also, you will have to convert the .vcproj and .sln files to .dsp and .dsw files respectively.

That said, I would encourage you to get a copy of VS.Net. If you are a student, you can get an Academic license (basically, the Professional Version with a few optional academic tweaks and no license to distribute commercially) for $100.
    • A word on the DirectX SDK automatic setup for a project. I found out in the MSDN forums that they took out the feature that will set it up in VStudio upon installation roughly a year ago. Too further that I did not get it from the august or the october release. So it looks like I will have to set it up manually as well.

VS .NET 2003
      DirectX SDK October release
    • Yes I should have been more clear, it did set up all the paths automatically.

I was refering to the DirectX project. In the chapter regarding the SceneGraph the Mr. Mike suggests creating a new project by selecting the directX project from the list of available project templates. Which you get from installing the DirectX SDK.