Help me!!

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Please, help me .
      I have 3D Studio Max 5 & 6.
      I can 3D model with this software but cannot for
      game and animation.
      i want to develop small game and small 3D animation
      cartoon movies (like killer bean2).
      Pls, point to me tutorials for 3D game & movie,
      animation programming (input 3D studio max model).
    • RE: Help me!!

If you are intrested in DirectX, the best book I have found to learn from is "Programming Role Playing Games with DirectX (2nd Edition)." It dose toss you in kind of deep by chapter 2 but after reading certian sections a few times i think i'm actually understanding it.

If you need a little bit stronger foundation of C++, "Beginning C++ Game Programming" does a good job with pointers, inheritance, ect. It teaches you through simple text games.

One that I bought, but haven't gotten to yet is "Tricks and Tips of the Game Programming Gurus. (2nd Edition)" Where ever I go someone always recomends that one.

It's a little hard for me... I NEVER learned very well from books... I'm a "Learn by Application" sorta guy. Being that i'm out of school, I picked up a few books to try and continue learning.

Hopefully that helps a little. Just a perspective of someone beginning game programming.
      Wort wort wort.

I've read about half of "Tricks and Tips of Windows Game Programming Gurus" twice. Being able to learn programming concepts from a book makes things a lot easier, I'd probably go mad if I couldn't.

Anyway, the book is good (it's gigantic, too), but he spends a lot of time reiterating points he's already made. Maybe some people need that (he is going pretty heavy into DirectX), but towards the middle of the book his speed begins to slow to a crawl due to his constant re-teaching of a few basic concepts. I don't know, maybe its just me.

Oh, and he's an annoying author, but the book is a must read.
      -Larrik Jaerico

www.LarrikJ.com

Do you have any C/C++ experience? Most game programming books assume you do, but if you don't, that's a pretty steep curve in itself. Just depends how much time you want to spend learning the language as you go.

If you have very little programming, and no C++, you could take a look at Python . It's interpreted, so you wouldn't write any graphics routines in it, but it's easy to learn, it's OO, and there are plenty of fast libraries, including an SDL wrapper. There are free tutorials online too. It would teach you some good basic programming skills that would ease your transition to C++. Just a thought.