Linux info'

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Linux info'

It's been a while since i've been on here, and, truth be told, i haven't advanced much, too much reading and not enough practical i feel!
      But i'm now starting to get going, thing is, i do like my LInux and primarily Kdevelop. Of course i've only done standard C++ code using Kdevelop and i was wondering (stupid question alert!) if the Win32 and DirectX thingies woudl run under Kdevelop. I could use VS but i do like the Linux philosophy, and i hear Sony are getting into Linux as a development environment for the PS2 so it must be a viable alternative.

Can someone please clear things up for me, do i have to program under Windows, if i want to write game code does it have to use all the Windows bits (DirectX, Win32 e.t.c.) what the hell is Win32 anyway. I thouoght C++ was cross-compatible so why can't i write ccode for all platforms.
      If i was to wreite game code then which option should i choose in VS, is it "cosole, win32 or one of the other myriad choices, " what happened to a straighforward interface where you typed code and it either worked or it failed.
      I used to type in listings from magazines (it's a while back now!) and games would result, what option do i select to enable this simplicity.

I feel i've an understanding of the basics, but the problem is that once a beginner gets going and loads something like VS we've no idea what's going on, what are all these bits and pieces? i just want to write code! i know my for..next loop, my data types, how do i write code without all the crap.

The coding complete book is easily the most interesting read for ages but i've no understanding of the code itself, can anyone point me in the direction of a book which takes me on the step between the for loop and Coding Complete. A book which explains how to get pictures on screen would help!!!!!!!!

Oh! i feel better now!

You all have my utmost respect.
    • RE: Linux info'

Wow, dude...you dropped a lot of stuff on us right there.

You use KDevelop? Really? I think Anjuta is possibly the best IDE ever, but I use VS on Windows since Anjuta is Linux only.

My suggestion to you is to dump Win32 altogether, and switch to SDL. SDL will give you a nice wrapper between you and the machine, and it will pick DirectX or OpenGL as it thinks you need it, and it works on both Linux and Windows.

libsdl.org

An alternative to SDL is straight OpenGL programming, but that may be a bit over your head. OpenGL IS supported on both platforms, though (supposedly).

Linux on the whole is a great development environment, but its a poor commercial target. The population is too small, and what gamers you have in there want their stuff to be free.

The options for console/Win32 App/etc. ARE important, deciding everything from which #defines to start with to which versions of the libraries to use. If you aren't going to be making Windowed programs using the direct interface, you are probably best off choosing Console and going from there (this is not something I'm 100% sure on, though). Once you make your choice, however, switching to the other option isn't easy, so you might as well start a whole new project instead of trying to make the old settings work.

"I thouoght C++ was cross-compatible so why can't i write ccode for all platforms."

ANSI C++ IS cross compatible, but the graphical capabilities of ANSI C++ are...pathetic. In order to do anything fancy you need to access the hardware either directly or through a library, and these are usually not cross-compatibile (though a good library will have a compatible API and different binaries).

Seriously? Start with ncurses (do a google for it) right now. It's a 20 minute project to learn, it's fast, and you can have a blast with it. It's Linux-only, though.

Hope I helped some, but I warn you that most of what I said was opinion, and I'm not a professional.
      -Larrik Jaerico

www.LarrikJ.com
    • RE: Linux info'

Ok now i have a direction in life.
      I've dropped VS and KDevelop and other such IDE's and i'm now using Emacs and a command line. I'm aware that this kind of thread is of little interest to the Elite prgrammers out there but i now (thankfully) am happy in my attempt to learn C++, to anyone out there just getting going i offer this advise:-

ignore the DirectX/openGL/Ncurses/SDL thing and fire up a text editor and a compiler and learn the language, i actually feel i'm getting somewhere now. Yes, Mr Mikes book is miles away from me but learn to walk before you run. Mr Mike and programmers of his ilk are people to be looked up to but are also at a level most of us will never realise unless you're seriously clever and can devote your life to code!!

Ignore the bits and pieces and learn the language, actual game code looks as much like c++ as Latin does to Alpha Centauri Greek (not much). Thanks to Mr Mike for hammering this point home, albeit un-intended, fact is, i'm not blinded by science anymore and i'm happy to take one step at a time.

Rant over. Mucho Respect to you all.

Oh, and yes, I have been drinking!!

Coffee my ass!