Skills to look for

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Skills to look for

What sort of skills do video game developers value most in prospoective programmers? I've noticed that other application developers value more application-specific skills (.NET, etc).

For instance, is there a high value associated with someone who can write clearly and professionally? Speaking ability? Mathematical ability? I'm talking more about the non-programming aspects of things, but it would be interesting to note the place of raw programming skill as well.

Likewise, how do you even judge raw programming skill, usually?

I'd especially love for someone who does the hiring to answer this, and your answer to my question about college graduates implies that Mike has at least done this in the past, if not right now.

These questions were really sparked by my own corporate experience as well as this article:

news.com.com/What+corporate+Am…/2100-1030_3-5481494.html
      -Larrik Jaerico

www.LarrikJ.com
    • RE: Skills to look for

I don't think a standard exists. One place grilled the heck out of me, and another place just tested me for personality fit... Very strange, that place.

Personally, I'd look for a solid C++ foundation as well as openness to evolution and ability/willingness to communicate. Personality fit is important as well... but that sort of mixes in with the evolution/communication part. I would not want to work with a programmer who won't code like the rest of the team on a matter of principle only to find out about it a month before shipping.

As for raw programming skill, a quick game of Soul Calibur will easily determine their potential... as well as written and verbal programming tests that all good companies should include as part of their hiring practices. Different companies will have different concentrations on what they test, and surprisingly, not all companies will force you to play Soul Calibur against one of their programmers.
    • Soul Calibur?!? Aw, man... I'm way better at Tekken 3. I'll mop the floor with most people with Xiao Yu. If we went by that measure, I could have been the Tech Lead on Half Life 2....

Rich
      "Your job is not to die for your country. Your job is to make some other poor sod die for his."
    • RE: Skills to look for

Here are my big ticket items:
      1. Experience (if the job requires it) I don't want people learning on the job. If I have an entry level position, this one is waived. I find this out by looking at past work and turning on my spy network. Surely I know someone who knows the candidate, and has an opinion.
      2. Intelligence - I figure this out by giving an extensive written test and a verbal exam during the interview. Brutal, but it works.
      3. Passion & Personality - If the candidate actually has fun during the interview and doesn't fold even when they are stumped, I know they've got what it takes. Also, if the candidate has some good work they've done on their own, I know they have passion.
      4. Gamer - call me crazy, but I like people who play games and have opinions about them.
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • Ha! The written tests are usually easier than what you get tested for in your Senior year of college. A lot of them will be parallel to your introductory to intermediate CS classes. Topics tend to stay around the general C++ realm with the intent of keeping out the riff raff. The written test should make sure the verbal part of the programming interview won't be embarassing to the interviewee and a waste of time to the company. You'd be surprised at how many "programmers" don't know how to write a recursive function or when the use the 'virtual' keyword.

amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/deta…-4823518-1148011?v=glance
      [IMG:http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0471383562.01._PIdp-schmooS,TopRight,7,-26_PE34_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg]
      Reading this book might be overkill, but it gives you an idea of what you might be able to expect at some places... especially Microsoft.

Oh and Nebuchadnezzar, I'd be happy to accomodate your Xiao Yu with my Jin anyday :)