Ultima Online and Mr. Mike

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Ultima Online and Mr. Mike

I'm writing a giant research paper for school as well as a programming project about network architectures for massively multiplayer online games. I am using Ultima Online as an example (not surprisingly), and I was hoping you could give me a quote or some insight into managing a system like that.
      -Larrik Jaerico

www.LarrikJ.com
    • RE: Ultima Online and Mr. Mike

I'd be happy to comment - but my knowledge on current affairs is pretty stale - at least 6 years old. Remember I left Origin in 1997, and contracted with them a bit in 1998, but that was the last time I touched Ultima Online. I'm sure it's drastically different now...
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot

It was the development I was really interested in, and I'd love whatever you could give me.

{ I edited your post so you won't collect spam like crazy! - Mr.Mike }
      -Larrik Jaerico

www.LarrikJ.com

The post was edited 1 time, last by Larrik ().

Back in 96/97 Game Developer Magazine did a special report that was distributed to subscribers as a ZIP File. It included 7 papers including one on the early development of Ulitima Online.
      • Internet Game Design - Yu-Shen Ng
      • Java Network Game Programming - Michael Morrison
      • Has Origin Created the First True Online Game World? - Dave Greely and Ben Sawyer
      • Multiplayer Math - Larry O'Brien
      • Designing Fast-Action Games for the Internet - Yu-Shen Ng
      • Synchronizing Threads in Java-Based Games - Paul Tyma
      • Dead Reckoning: Latency Hiding for Networked Games - Jesse Aronson

The Ultima online article is available on Gamasutra (gamasutra.com/features/19970819/sawyer_01.htm).
      The others are all on there as well (just Google for the title and author listed above).
      Gamma Testing - Where testing is extended to the full user community (AKA Shipping the Program)

Tell you what - you ask me questions and I'll answer them, ok? I'm already writing one book!
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot