Valve vs. Vivendi Universal

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Valve vs. Vivendi Universal

Man, I find this very interesting.
      gamespot.com/news/2004/09/24/news_6108100.html
      You know, sometimes I'm glad I'm not in the computer game industry. Having a publisher the rights on a game you work so hard. And you know that this games pushes the level on game design. And you know that this new games will be in the history book of game development. Have the publisher sit on the game for something you said. That's crap.

I know now why Valve started this "Steam" business model.
      steampowered.com/
      They can deliver their product to their devoted costumers with out the need of a publisher. Valve is even willing to risk having the key crack by a teen. It may seem developers starting to recognize they no do need a publisher to distribute their games. This time around, you can not play the "Steam" download until VU Games are willing to sell it. I guess will wait to see how this "Steam" works out.
    • RE: Valve vs. Vivendi Universal

Originally posted by EnriqueH73
      It may seem developers starting to recognize they no do need a publisher to distribute their games.

Well they are only filling a small part of what a publisher does. Publishers have other uses though. What happens when there is a big stuff up in the distribution, if you are handling the distribution then who are you going to sue?

Why after Valve took action against Vivendi, did they continue to do buisness with them? Sounds like they had a dud contract or something.
    • RE: Valve vs. Vivendi Universal

It seems vivindi hasn't been living up to their contract again, and it's not the first time. What it sounds like is valve's contract with vivendi hasn't been turminated yet, hence the on-going two year lawsuite.
      Wort wort wort.