Boost Libraries

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Boost Libraries

I saw a couple of references to the Boost libraries... has anyone been using them? It looks great, but I haven't been able to build them for vc7. Has anyone succeeded? I've tried to find a forum or BB for boost but haven't seen anything yet... any ideas?

tia,
      pj

The post was edited 1 time, last by pjeffrey ().

• RE: Boost Libraries

Thanks for responding.

I'm getting the following error when I run build.bat in the jam_src directory, and the libs are not created.

>
      ...found 83 targets...
      ...updating 5 targets...
      .mkdir. bin.ntx86
      spawn: Invalid argument
      C:\Dev\Common\Boost\boost_1_31_0\tools\build\jam_src>

<

but I can't figure out what's calling spawn...

I get a similar error from bjam when I run the binaries I downloaded separately.

I haven't found any binaries for boost itself.

btw,
      I'm building boost because I'm trying to build CrazyEddies GUI, which depends on boost - have you seen it? Looks pretty slick.
      crayzedsgui.sourceforge.net/

thanks,
      pj

It sounds like you've got a jam build problem not a compiler error (what I thought at first)
      I used the pre-build bjam

Sounds like your bjam command line or environment variables are set wrong. What did you use?
      Did you set VC7_ROOT to you C++ compiler's root?

that was quick :)

I didn't have VC7_ROOT set, so I set it to the path to cl.exe

I also looked for a reference to it in the boost "Getting Started" doc, but couldn't - is there another place to find instructions?
      <edit>
      i found it in the jam\v1 folder, but I think I'm using v2...
      \<edit>

btw I tried the prebuilt bjam and got some wierdness from it as well...
      >
      C:\Dev\Common\Boost\boost_1_31_0>bjam
      XXX
      (no frame):*** argument error
      * rule scanner.hdrrule ( target : matches * )
      * called with: ( <libs!test!build-object(c-scanner)@1>execution_monitor.cpp : <boost/test/execution_monitor.hpp> <boost/cstdlib.hpp>
      <boost/config.hpp> <string> <new> <typeinfo> <exception> <stdexcept> <cstring> <cassert> <cstddef> <wtypes.h> <winbase.h> <excpt.h>
      <eh.h> <crtdbg.h> <windows.h> <unistd.h> <signal.h> <setjmp.h> : libs\test\src\execution_monitor.cpp )
      * extra argument libs\test\src\execution_monitor.cpp
      C:/Dev/Common/Boost/boost_1_31_0/build\scanner.jam:118:see definition of rule 'scanner.hdrrule' being called

<

but I don't understand the jam rules it refers to in scanner.jam

what version of boost did you build? I'm using 1.31.0

thanks again.

The post was edited 1 time, last by pjeffrey ().

boost.org/more/getting_started.html#step2

talks about setting your compiler options
      did you add the booth includes and lib folders to your system INCLUDE and LIB environment variables and IDE? I did

if you aren't sure open you command window and type set to check out you environment variables
      It looks like you don't even have basicsof the includes setup. type running vcvars32.bat (in the \Vc7\bin of visual studio installation folder)

I'm currently using the same boost as you but, with Visual Studio 2003 (vc71)

If I get some time I'll try to get my old '2002 installed on my notebook and try building boost. I don't recall the version used with '2002

well... I haven't added them to the IDE. I'll try that tomorrow. I found a typo in the PATH variable, but fixing that didn't change anything.

Before you spend any time on your 2002 setup, I'll read the docs again (again) and see if I've missed something else.

I may just do the exercise of writing my own controls - I really don't need the complexity of the API I'm trying to install anyway. It'll do me good. ;)

thanks for all your help.
      pj