Unix && Linux

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Unix && Linux

First Quistion: Whats is each?
      Second: Advantage of one over other?
      Third: Why use either?

I realize that one queition might end up answering the other, no worries, i'll figure that all out. I'm just trying to find out who uses it and where is a good place to "aquire" either of them.
      Wort wort wort.
    • RE: Unix && Linux

Unix is/was an operating system developed by AT&T. nowadays it refers to a class of operating systems which emulate and enhance the original

AT&T sold, gave (I don't remember which) Unix to Berkley who added to it and created a variation called BSD (Berkley Software Distribution).

Linux is mish mash emulation of both created because its author thought Windows costs and crashes too much
      ----

Why use it? I pretty stable and does have the per seat cost of for pay Unix versions and Windows
      ---
      Go to the store and buy a copy of Redhat Linux or download it and go play. now a days its pretty easy to install and has better hardware support then it once did

gb

I currently run Windows and Linux so i have a pretty good idea of the pros and cons of them both.
      Firstly, i like Linux, i like the concept behind it and i like the fact that it's open source which allows people to dig around in it and develop software which, in the great Linux tradition, is free to all.
      The biggest problem i've had with Linux is hardware compatibility, (i've run Mandrake and Suse64 and both exhibit difficulties), i've recently built a pretty high spec PC which Windows had no problem configuring all the hardware on. Linux won't recognise the 3D acceleration on my GFX card, nor can i get any sound from my on-board chip.
      These seem to be common problems and fixes and drivers are on the web, which brings me to my next point.
      Linux isn't as simple as Windows.
      I have never downloaded a program which just requires a mouse click to install, with a Windows program everything needed is there, with Linux it's quite possible that it won't be, you'll need to get on the command line and unzip, untar, /configure, makefile, you get the picture.

This probably doesn't sound too good for Linux but i will also say that, if you want to understand how an operating system works get Linux, you also get all the source code to trawl through and learn from, you get the best free software there is, Openoffice is better than MS Office anyday and it's free!

You also get all the programming and development software you could ever need.

As i said Linux isn't as simple as Windows but you'll learn a lot because of this, if everything always works then thats no fun is it (as all programmers will echo!).
      Linux is vastly improved over previous versions and is getting better every day,(another plus of open source is the constant development of Linux).

Best advice is to get both, bang them on the same hard-drive and get playing.

you get the best free software there is, Openoffice is better than MS Office anyday and it's free!

Yes I agree it kicks MS Office's ass (NEVER crashes), only one problem with your agrument... I'm running (and always have been for as long as I've known of it's existance) it on Windows.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Gerry ().

I run SuSE Linux and WinXP right now, on seperate partitions (same physical drive, though). This has not yet caused my any problems whatsoever, but I hate that I decided to format the WinXP half with NTFS, since Linux won't write to it (which is a good thing, until they perfect it). I just wish I had used Fat32 so I could trasnfer files between them easier.

Linux, well, I don't really understand how to do thigns like install stuff and whatnow. When things go wrong, I generally give up. I was really using it for a class at school anyway, but I do like it. I'm just lazy.

If you are going to try Linux (I'd probably suggest RedHat, since they seem to be the most popular, and it is downloadable as CD's instead of SuSE's one giant download that can't properly be broken up into CDs), you need to install Windows how you want it FIRST. Linux is designed to work with Windows, and Windows is designed NOT to work with Linux, so installing Windows (or upgrading versions of Windows) after installing Linux will probably result in bad things happening to Linux. Installing SuSE was a breeze, otherwise.

BTW, you should know that SuSE often claims that GeForce 3d Acceleration cannot be enabled, even after upgrading your drivers. The fact is, it's already enabled. I don't generally play games on there anyway, though.

Oh, and Linux WILL let you set it in such ways as to not work, or ruin your monitor, or crazy other stuff.

Overall, I'd suggest trying Linux. Just be careful, and back up any hard drives you will be putting it on.

I'd suggest the book I used to learn Linux programming, but the fact is that its price-to-content ratio is just not that good. It IS well-written, though. Some are really terrible, so make sure to do your homework if you want a book (you don't need one, though)
      -Larrik Jaerico

www.LarrikJ.com

The boot loader software/operating system selector that redhat 6. something corrupted things on my system causing NTFS to lose its marbles.

After serveral Usenet postings to linux groups the best I was able to get was "Yeah, it'll do that to some volumes but you shouldn't be running Windows anyway"

That I think is one of linux biggest problems is that there are large groups of very vocal people that don't seem to welcome the newcomer

I would love to find a book like "Linux from the Windows point of view"
    • I'm currently running Mandrake 9.0, i've tried the 64bit version of Suse but i prefer Mandrake (each to their own though). i'm no expert but Suse seems to lock everything up and it's up to you to work out how to allow access to the CD or floppy or internet for a standard user, (of course you wouldn't want to access the web as root.) It's not a real problem but for a newbie to Linux i just feel Mandrake is easier.
      There's a big argument as to which distro is better, truth is there's not much to choose between any of them. They are all based on the same codebase.

Be aware! Suse 64 does not support serial ATA drives, or at least the current version doesn't.

Oh, if you're used to Windows i suggest using the KDE desktop with Linux as it feels the most Windozy.