MS C/C++ optimizing compiler NOW FREE

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• MS C/C++ optimizing compiler NOW FREE

msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/

In an unheralded yet surprising move, Microsoft has made their C/C++ optimizing compiler (MSOC) available as a free download

msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/

Props go to Robert Helmer of shellcity.net for pointing this one out to me.

I know this probably belongs in the tools section but I don't have permission to post there. Mista. Mike, if you have the time and wish to, feel free to move or repost the topic (deleting this one) in the tools section.
    • Originally posted by MRom
      I must admit, I never really expected something like this to come from Microsoft, but I guess I was wrong.

Yeah, I have noticed a few changes with the way MS are doing business. I think they are doing trying appeal more to the Nix community. This could be a side affect of the questionnaire that they were asking Nix users to fill in.
    • After reading some posts over on gamedev.net, it seems like, if I remember right, that the multithreaded debug libraries were not included with the release of this toolkit. For me personally that's not totally an issue (yet), but it may be for some otheres.
    • There are a few more missing features as well. No MFC, no ATL, and from what I see the win32 platform sdk is not included either (not sure if you can just update it with the latest platform sdk from msdn). Also - the most important one for me - no GL headers to be found anywhere. On the other hand .NET is included so you can compile .NET windows apps with the toolkit. The readme says that you can install DX9 sdk. MS trying to get rid of GL? I knew that there would be a catch...a free optimizing C++ compiler from MS...hmmm...not really much of an issue for me since I already use MS Visual Studio .NET 2003 Professional edition.
    • Yieeee!

Games MUST have multithreaded components, unless of course you don't need sound.

Still, I like that MS is starting to open up their technologies. For the longest time I wanted the DirectX team to release the source code to DirectX. Maybe one day....
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • Originally posted by dpoon
      There are a few more missing features as well. No MFC, no ATL, and from what I see the win32 platform sdk is not included either (not sure if you can just update it with the latest platform sdk from msdn). Also - the most important one for me - no GL headers to be found anywhere. On the other hand .NET is included so you can compile .NET windows apps with the toolkit. The readme says that you can install DX9 sdk. MS trying to get rid of GL? I knew that there would be a catch...a free optimizing C++ compiler from MS...hmmm...not really much of an issue for me since I already use MS Visual Studio .NET 2003 Professional edition.

A lot of what you listed can be obtained by downloading the Platform SDK. That in itself, I believe once you download it all, is around 300 MB; then there's the HD space once it's installed. I think the usual way Microsoft would have you download that Platform SDK is to go through web installer, but if you're like me and like to have a local copy of the install files, you can go here and download the files needed.

As for the GL headers, not sure where you can get those. They may be included with the Platform SDK, however I'm not sure.
    • Just got home from my school, so I've been able to check some things regarding the library files that come with the VC Toolkit, along with some other things.

In the lib folder in the root directory of the VC Toolkit, the following lib files are present, and in parentheses, I write what I believe they correspond to (someone may want to verify for me):

kernel32.lib (not sure, but I'm sure it's Windows specific)
      mscoree.lib (fairly certain this one of the core libraries enabling .NET support)
      oldnames.lib (no clue)

libc.lib (C Runtime Library - Static-link, Single-threaded, Release version)
      libcd.lib (C Runtime Library - Static-link, Single-threaded, Debug version)

libcmt.lib (C Runtime Library - Static-link, Multi-threaded, Release version)

libcp.lib (C++ Runtime Library - Static-link, Single-threaded, Release version)
      libcpd.lib (C++ Runtime Library - Static-link, Single-threaded, Debug version)

libcpmt.lib (C++ Runtime Library - Static-link, Multi-threaded, Release version)

So basically what we have is support for the /ML, /MLd, and /MT compiler switches. No debug version for the multi-threaded library, and no library to support dynamic linking to the C/C++ Runtime Libraries at all. My question would be, is this an oversight on Microsoft's part or did they intentionally do this?

Also I checked out the latest Platform SDK that I got a month or so ago, and it did come with the OpenGL headers, along with what else you'd expect like Win32, MFC, ATL.

I'm assuming with a decent front end IDE and the inclusion of at least the debug version of the multi-threaded libraries, this toolkit along with the DirectX SDK and Platform SDK could turn out to be a very viable solution for a hobbyist game programmer who's interested in programming just for the Windows platform.