slightly weird question for mr. mike

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• slightly weird question for mr. mike

Hey Mr. Mike, I believe it was yesterday that I was listening to KLBJ radio station in the morning and they were talking about the California legislature thinking of placing a ban on the sale of mature rated games to minors, and they had a caller named Mike who the hosts identified as a local game developer. I was wondering if that was you or not giving points on the lack of a direct connection between violent games causing kids to become violent in nature. If it was, I wanted to say that I agree with you very much so on the issue.

Heh, I'm sorry if it wasn't you and if other posters aren't sure what I'm talking about, I just found it kinda funny listening to the morning show and start thinking, "Hey, I think this guy wrote this book I'm reading!" :D
    • RE: slightly weird question for mr. mike

Wish I could take the credit for that - but nope. Odd thing about that is I've noticed a direct connection between my own agressive behavior and VERY recent playing of video games - say within the last hour or so.

Case in point - I was playing Project Gotham 2 for about 4 hours the other day, racing with some friends. Right after the game we jumped in the car to go get some food, and dang it if I didn't almost run into someone! Why - becase I was still in the "zone", I guess.

Long term, though, I don't think there's much to be said for computer games causing violent behavior. Rather it is the other way around - violent people tend to not play a lot of Tetris, you know? They'll go play some Unreal or GTA.

Banning violent games to minors should always be considered a local (or perhaps state) issue, and to be honest California should be able to do what is best for California. If they brought the measure up for a vote in Texas, I'd be torn.

On the one hand I don't fundamentally believe the goverment should be on our case like that - telling us what kinds of entertainment we should enjoy. On the second hand, I think by and large parents don't have any idea what goes on in many video games, and allow very young kids to see the full length and breadth of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. I wish that didn't happen. I have hopes that games like GTA are opening parents eyes, and as we all get older and have kids of our own we'll remember it's not necessarilly PacMan bouncing up and down on the screen, eh?
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot

Welcome to America.
      Mr.Mike

Originally posted by MRom
      placing a ban on the sale of mature rated games to minors

That is already in place over here (Australia), ever since I was a minor in fact. Trouble is... parents are usually the ones that will go down to the store and pick up the game for their kids for Christmas, birthdays or what ever. The parent walks up to the counter, pays the money and never even realizes the game has a rating because the clerk only ever asks for ID or mentions the restriction in any way when a minor is the one buying the game.

It's actually quite funny and kinda sad at the same time. You'd think the lawmakers would have thought of this flaw. Guess they didn't put much thought into it and just figured that if it worked for alcohol, then it would work for games.

I agree with Mike, if I'd just played GTA:VC and I happen to pass by a bike that looks in any way like the PJC, I get the urge to steal it. :D However this does ware off pretty quickly. The one thing that links just about all of the those high school massacres, is not video games but bullying. However we can't place any of the blame on the victims or their parents so how about video games and Marilyn Manson, they look like easy targets.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Gerry ().

Not to get into a long winded political discussion, but I have to observe something. In many countries in the Middle East, Africa, and Aisa there are tons of kids running around with guns or explosives and they kill people every day. These kids have probably never seen a video game.

They have seen adults behaving in the same way, and even worse teaching them that this behavior is the way into paradise.

Clearly, the danger is not video games. It is indoctrination.
      Mr.Mike
    • On one level I agree that states have the right to regulate what is and what isn't sold to minors. But I don't think limiting games will solve many problems. I'd argue to say that the kids who become violent due solely to violent video games, if there are any, are the very rare exception rather than the rule. As such, a law like the one California legislature proposes wouldn't really come one step closer to solving the problem.

As far as the short-term aggressive behavior resulting, I don't deny that won't exist. I don't know, but maybe it has something to do with a sort of adrenaline rush that games create? Another thing I was thinking about is maybe if you're playing a game, you could get frustrated due to either not being able to get past a part in a level, or stupid teammates, or whatever, that frustration carries over and causes you to be edgy and aggressive in real life? I know I've been a little short with people if I just finished playing an aggravating round of Tribes 2 or BF:1942.

Also, I think Mr. Mike makes a pretty good point about indoctrination being the source of the problem. I was thinking that long term violent behavior in kids doesn't stem from them playing violent games; I've seen way too many people, myself included, play violent games when they were young (6-8 years of age) and grow up to be mature and responsible people. Rather than games, long term violent behavior, I think, comes from the social influences around the kid. In the Middle East, the sect of people who continue the suicide bombings are convinced that blowing yourself up along with other people who do not coincide with your views is in effect dying for Allah. In America, social influences could come from, say, a household with abusive parents or constant bullying and aggression at school. Games, music, movies, etc, might contribute, but I'd say in a far lesser degree.

I'm just not sure if there are any easy answers for any of this.
    • I agree 100% with the indoctrination comments that you both put forward.

You guys seen Bowling for Columbine?

I'm moving to Canada when I retire. Apart from what was said in the documentary, the last time I checked, the UN also had it as the best country in the world in which to live.

The video game stores around us techniqually aren't allowed to sell us (minors) mature rated games, yet the place i go all the time really never ask me at all for ID just because they have known me for so long and have really stoped caring, it seems.

It just seems to make it less of a hassel and they know that too because if they were to ID me, i'm sure they realize one of my friends wouold just buy it for me instead. It seems to defeate the major purpose.
      Wort wort wort.

HA! You know, back when GTA3 came out, I didn't have a PS2, so I would go and play across town in my friends basement. Because its the rule of videogames to play with the lights off, and GTA totally consumes you at first, I probably played 3 or 4 hours before deciding to head home (not that long, really...).

When I got on the road I felt weird! I had to seriously concentrate on driving, and NOT hitting other cars and ripping people out of them. It was a 15 minute trip or so, and this sensation only got a little better by the end of the trip.

Now, I'm not a young kid, I was 20 at the time, and well over the age recommended to play the game. Needless to say, I can not argue that games don't affect your mentality, because they totally do.

But come on, like you haven't had trouble concentrating after getting out of the movies or something?

I guess my point is...banning the sale of M-rated video games to minors is not something I'm against. Sure, I used to be, but kids should not be playing these games, and the government enforces the R-rating and higher at movie theaters, etc. Why should video games be different?

What I don't like is Lieberman, basically wanting all video games outlawed. It fucking sucks when your least favorite politician EVER lives within a half hour of your house, lemme tell you. I hate that guy.
      -Larrik Jaerico

www.LarrikJ.com
    • LOL, yeah maybe they should have a warning on all future GTA games.

"CAUTION: After playing this game you may feel the urge to pull somebody out of their car, beat them to a bloody pulp, steal the car and run over every pedestrian that you see on your way to go pick up a hooker.... no SERIOUSLY!!! Due to this it is our advice that you allow for a cooling down period before engaging in normal life.

... Oh yeah, and if you a psychotic loon, DON'T play this game as it will not help your condition."

Jokes aside, there probably should be some sort of warning on the game. I mean once you know how it can affect you, you pay closer attention (or at least I do) and then it doesn't impact on behavior.
    • For the most part the genre of the game really determins how it will affect you. And the games that will actually affect you at all are the games you can really get into.

Kinda Funny: A few nights ago i had been playing []Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorow[/i]. Anyone who really knows this game know3s that shadows are not mercinary's friends making it really easy to get into the mood of the game. Well after i was done playing, i was walking around my house at night and i found myself checking over my sholder sometime, making sure no one was sneaking up from behind me. It was just kinda strange to be doing this, but also i realized i was doing this too... it just made me smile.

I can't deny that games don't affect you, because they do, just usually to a very small scale. But thats no different from TV or Movies; possably even music too. Someone who would carrie out their video-game based fantisies in reality definatly would have issues to begin with. To blame video games in general is a mistake.
      Wort wort wort.
    • Originally posted by Gerry
      Due to this it is our advice that you allow for a cooling down period before engaging in normal life.

Looks like others also think warnings and cooling off peroids are in order. If you got involved in this thread then you will like this article:

[URL=http://www.wired.com/news/games/0,2101,66225,00.html?tw=rss.TOP]Real World Doesn't use a Joystick[/URL]

Read it all as the entire thing contains good stuff.

Taylor also said that after reviewing Quake III he had trouble getting his mind out of the game.

"I'd play it, then walk out into the office corridor and realize I was looking at my co-workers as potential targets," said Taylor. "I was so used to killing anything that moved."