GDC 2004 - Starbucks and Aeron Chairs

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• GDC 2004 - Starbucks and Aeron Chairs

Here are the PowerPoint slides for my session at GDC 2004.
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • Very interesting... and yes, I never realized until it was gone... that it was the best job I ever had.

There was no way I could have realized that while I was working there because I didn't know what all you Origin Veterans were running away from. I had never experienced the worst of the gaming industry like the Compulsive Development heads had. What you were trying to create at Compulsive for the people you hired was beyond noble, and the experiences I had there account for a big part of my own professional development from that meek little snot-nosed kid wet behind the ears fresh from college to a younger version of who I would like to become in about 20 years... in terms of how I carry myself and what I expect from my bosses and employers.
    • RE: GDC 2004 - Starbucks and Aeron Chairs

Totally honestly: Not allot of those nubers mean anything to me. I do like some of the simpler stuff that i could understand.
      It's intresting to read about, and so far to me it's a goal, maybe just a dream.
      Wort wort wort.

Originally posted by Kaimera
      Totally honestly: Not allot of those nubers mean anything to me. I do like some of the simpler stuff that i could understand.
      It's interesting to read about...

Ditto, you can't get much form it without the accompanying audio presentation by Mike, but still better than nothing.
    • Now I'm going to go get all misty on everyone....

Perhaps one day we'll have something as good as Compulsive Development again, Kain. At least we have the blueprints for it, eh?
      Mr.Mike

The numbers and percentages might not mean much to programmers, but they are invaluable to people who are on the business development side of software studios. Just knowing where the big expenses lie and how they relate to one another is critical for setting a reasonable budget.

That said, these numbers only work for a small studio (15-40 people) in Austin Texas. Other locations like Los Angeles or San Francisco may have different numbers for thing like rent, since they are so much more expensive in comparison to other costs - which will put pressure on the "nice to have" catagories like meals and entertainment.

Still, its a good place to start.
      Mr.Mike