Zip files as resource files?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Zip files as resource files?

I did remember coming across a web article which mentions using WinZip files as resource files, and providing some source code. Anyone came across this time?

That aside, where can I find code to pry into zipped files? Is using zip files as a resource file recommendable?
      Act in haste and repent at leisure.
      Code too soon and debug forever.
    • A forum topic that you might want to look at.

---
      A link that MRom put me onto that shows what goes into various file formats (zip is down the bottom of the page)
      http://www.wotsit.org

The post was edited 1 time, last by Gerry ().

• You can definitely do this - in fact Thief 3 uses zip files for storing meshes and textures on the Xbox.
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • I've been thinking about this for some time - and it makes decent sense, too. I pulled zlib down some time ago and haven't gotten around to playing with it yet.

Anyone look at Auran's Jet yet? I've fiddled with it somewhat and it's got a handy feature that lets you treat their resource files as if they were just subdirectories. So if you've got a file named mymesh.x in meshes.res you can access it like:

MyOpenFile("../resources/meshes.res/mymesh.x");

Excuse the oversimplification, but it's pretty straight forward and sort of nifty....

And I think their format uses some sort of compression as well. I haven't fiddled with it in a while - I've been stuck learning database programming for the last 6 months.... Blech!
      "Your job is not to die for your country. Your job is to make some other poor sod die for his."