New version control system - Subversion

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Hehe, ironic, I was thinking of typing up something like this last night, but was too tired.

I just built the Subversion source last week on my Windows XP machine, and although it took a couple go arounds, I did manage to get it to compile just fine. Some other points people might want to know is that you'll need the Apache 2 source (if for nothing else, to get the apr and apr-util source code), neon library which can be found here, and if you plan on running a local repository, Berkeley DB 4.2 which can be found here as well. If you're building the source on Windows, you'll also need this little Perl script that mods the apr-util headers to point to the Berkeley DB files. The script can be downloaded from the Subversion website here. Also if you're building the source under Win32, you'll most likely need to install Python 2.2/2.3 as well as Perl 5.8.

With that said, the way I went around doing things was I downloaded the Subversion Win32 client program from their website, checked out the latest source, then built it from there following the INSTALL file. Like I said, I ran into a couple hitches, but mainly because I didn't read the install instructions carefully. After getting it built, setting up a local repository on my Windows XP box was a real snap, and command line tools are real easy to use. If anyone's interested in checking out some open source alternatives to CVS/RCS, Subversion is something I recommend taking a look at.

Here are some extra Subversion related goodies:
      RapidSVN - cross platform GUI interface for Subversion.
      AnkhSVN - VS.NET plugin for managing code version controlled by Subversion.
    • It looks pretty cool at first glance. Someone out there might be busily coding a C# GUI for it - then you could get people other than programmers to use it.

I also noticed a VC.NET addin, which means it conforms to the SCC API required by Microsoft, which also means you could write plug-ins for controlling game assets for sound, 3D models, etc. in other software packages like 3D Studio Max.

These guys are worth watching - the biggest improvement over CVS is the atomic checkins, which you absolutely MUST have in any source code repository.
      Mr.Mike
      Author, Programmer, Brewer, Patriot
    • One caution: people should note that you can't use Subversion to host a source code repository on Win95/98/ME, because of database incompatibilities. I was trying this last night with my fingers crossed, because the documentation was a little vague about this ... unfortunately it was correct enough in saying it wouldn't work.

Another note: I suggest that you do NOT try the Tortoise GUI for Subversion on a Win9x machine. It doesn't seem to be documented as incompatible, but after installing Tortoise, I ended up having to use System Restore to get rid of it and bring my machine back to a usable state.

- David