How to build and run the code

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How to build and run the code

Good evening,

I'm relatively new to all this building business and my experience has mostly been in Eclipse and Java; I have never had big projects so I'm not used to how things are done yet.
      The read me on github doesn't seem to be all that helpful either, as there are errors in it and I can't seem to figure out what is the right thing to do. First off, the link to the source code is wrong, it points to Google Code. Of course this is trivial, but as I didn't have much experience with repositories and version tools either, it was a little confusing. So I installed TortoiseSVN, created a project in VS2015 called "GameCode4", went into the project, rightclicked, used "svn checkout", pasted in the github repository URL and started forking (if that is the correct term; it downloaded all the files from github into the project folder). 30 minutes later the process failed, stating something like "xml file couldn't be found"; the rest of the data being intact. I decided to ignore this, maybe it was a file that would be created yet or something.

My project structure then was : Visual Studio 2015\Projects\GameCode4\gamecode4\branches\feature\vs2013
      In vs2013, the Asset folder, Game folder etc. can be found. Thw lower-case gamecode4 folder being the project folder. Then I proceeded to the next step and downloaded the two zips (readme implies there is only one zip called "3rdParty.zip", while there are two zips called "3rdParty_Win8_VS2012_libs.zip" and "3rdParty_v4.0.zip"). In any case, I unzipped both of them in \gamecode4, now having a gamecode4 folder in which there are two folders: branches and Source (Source being from 3rdParty_v4.0.zip) as well as a lot of files from the libs.zip. So, the readme states my project structure should look like this: gamecode4/dev/assets etc., which is far from being the case, even when done automatically.

The next step, opening Source\TeapotWars\Msvc\TeapotWars_2015.sln was impossible for me. There simply is no TeapotWars folder, in any Source folder (neither in gamecode4/Source nor in vs2013/Source

I guess the readme is still from the very first version, hence the wrong link. However, since I'm quite new to all of this and the readme seems very faulty, what am I supposed to do (preferrably step-by-step) in order to run the code? Thanks in advance,

Quexlaw
    • Thank you very much, I stumbled upon that post by myself late at night and managed to make it run; one other problem was that the readme says to unzip the 3rdParty in the root directory of the project.
      This is false, as it is supposed to be unzipped where the Source directory is (in this case, not Visual Studio 2015\Projects\GameCode4\gamecode4\, but Visual Studio 2015\Projects\GameCode4\gamecode4\branches\feature\vs2013).

The other problem was that Tortoise SVN stopped forking when it encountered that xml error, not only omitting the necessary xml file but other folders that were supposed to come after it too. That's why my TeapotWars folder was missing. I manually downloaded it from github and moved it into my project folder.

If you don't mind, can you look into why Tortoise SVN fails? I tried it twice. It would be quite nice to use if it worked correctly.