First Steps in Programming World

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• First Steps in Programming World

Hello mrmike and members of this forum,
      i have a question for you about programming.
      Me and my friend don't know how to start in a 'programming world'. We're bought 14 year old boy's. So we don't have any idea how to start in a programming world. So we want to know how to start. We want to make games for computers. Let us know what program should we learn where programmers are working on to program some game.
    • Hello,

These days a great way for absolute beginners to start is Unity , I have seen people with absolutely no understanding of programming or game development start up unity and after following a few tutorials have an understanding of how to make a simple game, the key is to just start making something.

Take a look at their Learn section and you should be able to get started in games, enjoy!
      PC - Custom Built
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 3770 3.4Ghz
      GPU: ATI Radeon HD 7959 3GB
      RAM: 16GB

Laptop - Alienware M17x
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 - Ivy Bridge
      GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M - 2GB GDDR5
      RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 1600mhz
    • What's your ultimate goal? Do you want to be professional programmers at a game studio, or are you mostly interested in just dabbling? Either answer is perfectly valid. :)

Learning Unity is a decent way to get started quickly making something, I definitely agree with mholley there. It will teach you the basics of programming (branching, variables, breaking things up into objects, etc.) The absolute biggest mistake I see people make is biting off more than they can chew. Scope is not something you can reasonably have any knowledge of unless you've been through it. It takes a LOT of work to make even a trivially simple game.

My advice to you is to start REALLY simple. Use Unity to make Tetris. This basically the perfect first game because it is simple enough that you already know the rules so you won't get bogged down in game design, yet there are a couple of gotchas in there that you'll have to plan through. It has all the elements of a complete game (rendering, a game loop, game objects, and so on). Make and FINISH Tetris. When I say finish, I mean you need to actually finish it. It should have a main menu, UI, high scores, and FEEL like Tetris.

Making games and playing games are two VERY different experiences. This project will teach you whether or not you enjoy the process of making games.

-Rez
    • I want to some day work in some company, i know it's a serious work and it's take a long time to learn it. But i want to know, is it to early? Am i still young and stupid? Because i'm still 14. I really enjoy play video games. And for me personally programming(making a video games) is something i really want to do some day.
      When you say Unity, should i first learn JAVA or C basics and than get to work, because how i know C and Java are automatically installed on Unity, and they are there to make something work.(like animations, levels, to make enemy's).
    • mr makarini wrote:

I want to some day work in some company, i know it's a serious work and it's take a long time to learn it. But i want to know, is it to early? Am i still young and stupid? Because i'm still 14. I really enjoy play video games. And for me personally programming(making a video games) is something i really want to do some day.
      When you say Unity, should i first learn JAVA or C basics and than get to work, because how i know C and Java are automatically installed on Unity, and they are there to make something work.(like animations, levels, to make enemy's).

It's never too early. :) I started at 16, so I wasn't much older and I didn't have the massive amount of resources you have today.

Honestly, I would just download Unity and start playing with the samples and following tutorials.

-Rez