Similarities Between Firmware and Games

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Similarities Between Firmware and Games

I know some of you do not care about my current status but somewhere in the forums; I mention that I was unemployed. Since October of last year, I signed on with M2M Data Corp as a Senior Programmer, in Englewood Colorado. Our company is in machine-2-machine (m2m) Supervisory Control And Data Acquisition (SCADA) market. I'm developing software for Linux base embedded systems that do the actual data acquisition. I'm using C programming language to code the embedded system.

What I really enjoy is firmware programming; is not much different to game programming. In embedded systems, like in games, you're dealing with memory management, real-time data collection, and thread/tasks programming. I would like to research some more about the similarities between the two. I know it's hard to get in-to game industry, but the m2m market, embedded/firmware programming in general, is a great field to start in.

But now I'm losing my windoze and C++ programming skills. I tried to do code a windows application and I was unable to complete it. I went back to the game code and I had to take some time to understand what I did. I do not like to switch back and forth between development platforms.

One of my new years resolutions is to stay in touch with the forms and dive deeper in windows/game programming.

Keep programming.. Oops.. Coding.

Enrique
    • I wish you luck... I've taken some breaks in my programming career but never really lost all that much... Its kind of like going back into a math you learned 3 years ago... Once you get ur feet wet and start to get back into the swing of things, everything seems to come back...