Minimalist Rust engine

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• There is! SDL is a very simple, lightweight library. I won't even call it an engine because it really isn't. It's more of a set of C functions that wrap the graphics and OS layers so you don't ever have to deal with it directly.

You can get it here:
      libsdl.org/

And you can play around with some tutorials here:
      lazyfoo.net/tutorials/SDL/index.php

-Rez
    • Fair enough. :)

I'm curious.... in one post you talk about learning OpenGL and how it integrates with the engine and in another you say that SDL is too low-level. These are both totally valid, but at the end of the day, what is it that you want to do?

If you just want to make a game, I would actually ditch all of this and check out Unity or Unreal 4. These are fully-featured game engines that let you concentrate on the gameplay and they're used by indies and professionals alike. The vast majority of the skills you learn from GCC will apply to both of these engines, though a lot of the lower-level stuff won't (like application init/shutdown, DirctX, etc.)

If you want to learn how to write an engine, SDL is a relatively high-level platform to help you do that. Barring that, you would want to learn DirectX or OpenGL and start from scratch. I would only recommend this if your goal was to learn it. It's a long process.

Rust is somewhere in between. It's probably good for just playing around, but it won't serve either of the goals above. It's also in a language I don't recognize, so learning it probably won't do a lot of good.

So what's your ultimate goal?

-Rez
    • Oh, i really don't care about making a game. I like engines, tools, and playing around with those. Making the actual game can be boring. :D

However, i want to learn more before going to low-level and doing everything myself from scratch. But learning from the codebase of giants like Torque 3D, Irrlicht and others is a major PITA. Also, there's lot's of bad practices in those codebases.