OpenGL version?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• No, there are no plans to release an OpenGL version of the code base. Honestly, if I had it to do over again, I would lean more towards something like SDL. It would allow us to teach the concepts of graphics programming without getting mired in the details of DirectX or OpenGL. Poor Mike nearly killed himself writing those chapters.

What's your goal? Do you want to learn OpenGL? If so, you're better off getting a book dedicated to that.

-Rez
    • http://ogldev.atspace.co.uk/

This is a really great resource for learning modern OpenGL.
      PC - Custom Built
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 3770 3.4Ghz
      GPU: ATI Radeon HD 7959 3GB
      RAM: 16GB

Laptop - Alienware M17x
      CPU: 3rd Gen. Intel i7 - Ivy Bridge
      GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M - 2GB GDDR5
      RAM: 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 1600mhz
    • Honestly, I think that's a mistake. You should concentrate on one or the other. I would learn OpenGL independent of trying to learn the lessons that GCC teaches you. Once you have a good handle on it, come back to GCC and learn how to apply what you've learned about OpenGL to a game architecture.

I second mholley's link. It's good for teaching the basics.

-Rez
    • Learning the technical tidy bits of OpenGL and DirectX are not really my goal. I want to understand the engine as a whole and how all components interact with each other. I don't care about Bullet or Havok, but how i can make them interact with my Renderer. That kind of stuff. The tidy bits i can learn later on. :D
    • When you say "engine", do you mean the OpenGL library? Or do you mean how it all fits into the larger scheme of a real game engine?

-Rez
    • GCC will teach you the concepts of abstraction that, along with the additional advice you see here, will get you on your way. By contrast, a typical OpenGL (or DirectX) book won't do that.

And if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

-Rez